Meeting and Sleep

Chapter 21

Jennifer

I made my way downstairs with my heels clicking against the marble floor. "Ma'am, your guest are here", Thomas said.

"Thank you", I said making my way into the study,"Will you and Liam step in for the second-half?"

"Of course", Thomas said following behind me. If shit was about to go down Thomas and Liam are the two most qualified to help Adam now that James and Ross were gone.

I opened the study glass French double doors and the room fell into silence as I took my spot at the back head of the table next to my grandmother, I nodded to Ava near the front,"Please, don't stop talking on my account".

Everyone was here except for Michael and Alejandro. It wouldn't be new or unexpected for them both to show up late. Michael liked making an entrance, and Alejandro just didn't care sometimes.

"Good morning", I said with a smile.

"Good morning, baby girl", My grandma said scooting closer to me. The more I age the more I start to say I take after my grandma more. The white suit she had on today, I had the exact same thing in my closet. Except she wore vintage gold that adored her head, fingers and arms. Her white diamond perfume had become a soothing comfort. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine", I lowered my voice so no one else could hear me,"It's Adam I'm worried about".

"One of you has to be strong. Make sure it's you", my grandma said not giving me advice. But telling me the honest truth. If Adam wasn't thinking right or was just so caught up in his own grief; one of us had to be rock. The sturdy foundation until this past. I had told Adam my idea, let's see if he actually goes through with it.

The caterers came into the room dress in their best and started to serve us breakfast. Normally I would be the one to cook for an occasion like this but I just didn't have the energy to. "How are things at Price Estate?"

"Good, when is Alma coming back to visit me?"

"Soon, after Christmas", hopefully by then this whole situation is cleared up. "You're still coming to the recital?"

Alma's feelings would be truly hurt if everyone wasn't there.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world", Grandma said.

"We've adopted another girl, Lara", I said with joy. I'll have to give her a call as soon as we wrapped up here. Hopefully she's having fun with Nate and Josh.

"Another one? Soon you'll have a small army", grandma said sipping on her tea.

"Four children is hardly an army", I stated adding honey to my tea.

"How old is she?" My grandmother said critically.

"Fourteen", I said enjoying my drink.

She gave me a funny look and said,"You skipped the fun years and went directly to teenage angst. Raising a teenager is a full-time job. It's harder--"

"Being a parent no matter the age is a full-time twenty-four-seven job", I corrected her.

"And where did Adam find this one? The streets? Or have we just upgrade to stealing kids out of their beds".

"You sound disappointed", I said trying to hide my feelings.

" I'm not disappointed I just... I expected more from you. I wanted more for you. Children change everything, and I just wanted you to "enjoy" married life before setting into mom life".