Off-Day

Chapter 14

Jennifer

I sat in my office staring blankly at the the white walls. My office was painted off-white, and it had five floor-to-ceiling window, which faced woods towards the back of the house. Celine had designed it, just like she did  my first office at Main House. On my pale wood desk sat a desktop computer, some notebooks, and a stack of papers sitting under a turtle-shaped paperweight. In a corner, the air I could felt the air blasting at medium. I didn't want to inconvenience Celine anymore, so I basically just asked her to replicate the office she had already did. I still had  my three portraits behind me  and  built-in gray bookshelves in the wall, bursting with books on every topic.

Sitting at my desk I tried to calm down.

What was Adam's problem?

He didn't help with the soldiers really, he froze when half a dozen mercenaries were about to gun us down and he wasn't a hundred percent focus on the problem at hand.

Knock knock

"Hey kid", Rodger said at the door holding a box in his hand. Snapping back to reality I stood up and offered him a chair. "I think this is an outside a conversation". He pointed to my side balcony.

"I'm not sure that's safe", I admitted.

"Never show fear in your own house. I never quite got the boys to understand that", Rodger said.

"There's a difference between being fearful and just not being stupid. I'm not going underground. Please sit, I can imagine it's not easy being stuck in a room full of people that hate you", I said.

"One of the perks of being me", he said sitting down at one of the chairs across from my desk. He opened up the box he had revealing cigars,"For you".

"Rodger, you shouldn't have. Plus, I don't smoke", tapping my fingers on the desk I said,"It sets a bad example for the children".

"Everyone has a vice. Keep them, the best stress relief on this planet", Rodger said getting comfortable in his chair. He tossed the box into my desk continued,"Whats wrong?"

"Nothing. Just a mess that needs cleaning up", I said. I just need Adam focused.

"Exactly", Adam said standing in the doorway.

"Can you give us a minute?" I asked Rodger. He quickly left the room and Adam came to stand in front of my desk with his hands in his pocket.

Staring up at him I blatantly asked,"What happened, in school, in the car?"

" I don't know", He said sitting down where Rodger just was.

"That's not good enough, when you freeze it affects all of us. When your not with us, we die".

"You've never had an off-day?" He questioned.

"Not when lives are at stake", I said,"Whats happened?"

"A possible turf war. Someone is trying to move in to my territory", Adam stated.

"Henthorn?"

"No clue, at least not yet", He said. Abruptly he change the subject,"The twins are fine. Alma is calmer, Alan and Heather being here is good for her. Sara's with Lara".

"Of course they are. If something was wrong we would know", I said leaning back in my executive rolling chair.

"What happened to you?" He said.