No You Don't

Chapter 13

Adam

Now is not the time to fight with Jennifer. I grabbed her hand and rushed us into the nearby classroom. Only for her to pull me further down the hallway into the science lab. The room was large with cabinets lining the walls, full of supplies. The desk were long tables with black tops. Without saying anything I tried to keep Jennifer towards the back of the classroom only for her to stay at my side. Any other time I would appreciate the gesture even welcome it, but not right now. I stayed close by the door ready to kill anyone that would come our way. The footsteps slowly moved from the far right side of the hallway closer to us.

Alma just needed to be quiet for a little bit longer. They would miss the girls, unfortunately that still left Jennifer out in the open.

"Adam", Jennifer whispered pulling me down to the ground next to her.

I looked at her confused and she pointed to the wall of windows on the other side of the room.

More soldiers were coming. This wasn't a Hitman or sniper this was a full assault team they wore all black clothes, armor and face mask. They knew we were going to be here, and they weren't going to let us leave without a fight.

I can hear them breaking down the classroom doors searching for us.

Damn. Damn. Fucking shit.

"Help me", she said crawling to a nearby cabinet and pulling out jugs looking for something.

"Handle it", I whispered. I couldn't stop guarding the door, if they did make it to us before team Hermes did I would rather die then let them harm a single hair on Jennifer.

I could see the soldiers getting closer to their reflection in the lockers in the hallway. It wouldn't be long now before they found us. Adrenaline flooded my system like it's on an intravenous drip - right into my blood at full pelt. Gunshots rang out, my heart was beating in my chest, pounding, banging, trying to get out.

"Adam", I turned to see Jennifer standing on one of the tables holding a lighter up to one of the fire alarm sprinklers.

Casting one glance back to the door I turned and gave her my attention,"What are you going?!" I said trying to keep my voice down. Now, really wasn't the time... for whatever this was.

"Science! Help me and we can hold them off", she said with an urgency in her voice. She was too short to reach the sprinkler system. I didn't have any ideas so I might as well listen to her. I stood up on the table and held the one click Fire Starter up to the sprinklers. It wasn't long before they started to go off. Jennifer snatched the fire starter out of my hand and started to light a pile ash on a rolling cart.

I stepped down,"Adam you're better shot than me as the cart rolls down the hallway you pick them off one by one. I'll get the girls and we run out the back exit". She handed me a pair of sunglasses,"Keep those on". She said putting on a pair of her own.

"Okay", I said jumping down to her side.

"On three", Jennifer said. I nodded,"One, two...three!" She lit the tube of ash, while pushing the cart down the hall way. The ash ignited in cloud of white smoke exploding with light. It was the kind of brightness that sears into your retinas making you close them for fear of going blind; a brightness that would make fresh snow look grey and dull. It was a brightness to rival the sun itself. I reached for my sunglasses, but even with them on I still had to squint to see.

Smart.

If I can't see the soldiers on their way to kill us they couldn't see us. I covered Jennifer even though she didn't need it. She quickly got the girls and started to run towards the door. One soldier somehow got pass the blind white hot light and I shot him dead in the head.