Have I Ever Disappointed You?

Chapter 62

Jennifer

"Ladies let's go! We can't be late tonight", Adam yelled downstairs.

"Coming Daddy!" Alma yelled sitting at my vanity inside of the closet. She turned to look at me,"I want to wear that one!" She pointing to a diamond necklace that was easily 20 carats covered in white gold.

"Okay", I said taking the necklace out of the box and draped it around her neck. I don't remember when Adam got me this. But tonight, it was Alma. Gamila designed the exact dress Alma wanted to wear tonight. And I quote she said it had to be,'As big Cinderella's dress but pink, with a big bow in the back', she wanted sleeves like the ones I had on my wedding dress, so off the shoulders and a crown. Which Michael gladly took over giving her a smaller version of Princess Diana's wedding crown.

"Do you feel pretty?" I asked kneeling down to her to kiss her cheek. She smiled a toothy grin. Gamila would kill me if she knew this dress at touch the floor. The richly-designed red dress features a v-neck illusion bodice with sparkling rhinestones over swirling ribbon embroidery that dips past my waistline. Thin spaghetti straps drape over my shoulders before crossing over my open back. Rippling waves of soft chiffon create a fabulous silhouette on the long a-line chiffon skirt that softly billows.

"Yes", she laughed.

I gave her one more big kiss and a hug," Win or lose, it will be the best one on that stage tonight".

"Can I get chicken nuggets afterwards?" That was a bad habit I had encouraged. McDonald's was becoming her go to treat. And sometimes dinner oh, I didn't feel like cooking all the time. And it was so convenient and easy.

"Sure", happy with that answer she jumped down out of the chair and loudly started to stomp out the door. This was the first time she was wearing any kind of heel. She still needed to get use to walking lightly.

I stood and followed her downstairs

Tonight was her competition. I can't imagine what Adam had to pay to have it take place at the St. Louis Symphony. But, it was well worth it. It gave me time to transfer the hospital into Elliott's care with some oversight from me. I even got to apply to some positions at Center Brittany Atlantic Hospital. Which was a fair compromise Adam and I came up with. I could still work and only be 15 minutes from the house. And he what try to devote more time to being at home in the evenings and on the weekend. Connie was a definite keeper. Everything else was purely on me. I couldn't help but compare myself to Sara and my grandmother's expectations. But, Dr. Min said that was just going to take time. For now I just had to be patient with myself.

"Thank you, for not spending the entire night up there", Adam said dressed in tuxedo with a black bow tie.

"You know you can't rush perfection", I said making my way to the bottom of the stairs. The twins and Daniel were going to sit this one out. The last thing I needed was a crying baby in the middle of Alma's performance. This was her night.

"Beautiful as always", Adam said kissing my cheek then helping me put on my coat. He lead us to the garage basement.

"Not to bad yourself". He playfully pinched my ass. " Where's Lara?"

"In the car with your Grandmother having her hopes and dreams destroyed", I stopped abruptly.

"Please don't---"

"I'm not. But she is pretending not to know English. I don't know where she got that idea from", He said.

"Adam, tonight isn't about you or my grandmother or Rodger it's Alma's night. Play nice", I said as we came to stand in front of the elevator door. He pressed the button calling the elevator up.