Chapter 36

"What's your favorite color?"

"[F/C]," I said laughing quietly. "You?"

"I'm still the questioner. Favorite animal?"

"That's not how I play it. We take turns asking and answering the same questions."

"Fine. My favorite color is yellow."

"Really?" My eyes widened at his answer. "I thought it was going to be black or something obvious."

"Why do you think I have yellow goggles and a yellow sleeping bag?"

"Huh. Never thought of it. Maybe because it reminds you of Hizashi?" I joked, giggling as he rolled his tired eyes. "Anyway, [F/A]. You?"

"...Cats."

"That's cute. Latest secret that someone's found out about?"

"I've worked together with a villain."

"I'm friends with a villain. I'm assuming the villain we're both talking about is Tomura." I snickered.

"I see how it is. Best friend?"

"Aside from you? Tomura, I guess."

"Doesn't count. He's like a brother."

"Hm... Kurogiri, or maybe Hizashi or Nemuri, or even Meleoron."

"That's a lot of best friends."

"There's also [BF/N] from Anteiku, but they moved years ago." I said this in a lower tone. He nodded, understanding. However, I saw a small flicker of happiness in his eyes for some reason.

"I don't really have a best friend, but I spend most of the time with Hizashi and Toshinori."

"Why did you want to be a teacher?"

"Nemuri told me I should be a teacher because 'a wide variety of opinions and teaching styles is required to educate the youth.' I thought it was completely irrational and bullshit, but Nemuri had submitted a recommendation for me to Nezu."

I laughed. "Where would you be if if weren't for Nemuri?"

"Honestly, no clue. Why'd you become a teacher?"

I frowned, looking down. "At first it was for Tomura to, y'know, spy. Then I realized that being around other people, socializing, it makes me happy. Plus, I met you." I paused. "I asked an extra question. If I weren't a teacher, I'd probably still be a vil-"

"Shush. Don't say you're a villain. You didn't do anything wrong." Despite the darkness, I saw Shota's eyes looking into mine with kindness. "If helping a villain counts as being a villain, I would be one."

I nodded slowly. "Your turn."

"Hm. Were you ever close to your parents?"

"I was 5 or 6 when they died, so I don't remember much. I don't think they cared if I was quirkless or not, they still loved me."

"Lovely. I don't remember my parents much, but I don't think cared much about me until I got into U. A."

"That's why you sleep so much."

"I guess...?"

"Favorite song?"

"Anything but Hizashi's radio songs."

I laughed. "C'mon, is it because it's from Hizashi or because you genuinely don't like those songs?"

"Both...?"

"Fine. I listen to loud music when I'm trying to stay up, but otherwise I like [F/Song/Band]."

"What would you do if I died?" He asked this with a completely straight face, staring at me to see my reaction.