Chapter 8: Jurassic Park

Start from the beginning

“Let’s play in the snow before you leave for your first day!” Jeremy suggested. Janice quickly dismissed his suggestion.

“I don’t want to get my work clothes wet.” Before Janice could say anything else, Jeremy grabbed her hand and pulled her out the door. “No! Don’t make me go out there!” She cried as she clawed at his hand. “Carrie! Save me!” Carrie appeared in the doorway as Janice was pushed backwards into the snow. “Jeremy!” She screamed as she felt the snow soak into her clothes.

“Come and get me!” Janice screamed in frustration as she tossed her pumps on the doorstep and chased after Jeremy. She tripped over her feet but quickly regained her balance. She jumped on his retreating back and tackled him to the ground. He face planted into the snow and Janice scrambled off of him.

She ran towards the house but Jeremy caught her and pushed her in the ground. Janice’s back sank into the snow and Jeremy threw himself over her so she couldn’t get up. Janice squealed.

 “Get off of me, you fatty!”  Jeremy chuckled. Janice followed along. After a few moments they settled down and just settled to grin at each other. Jeremy’s eyes flickered to Janice’s eyes. When he started to lean forward Janice felt her breathing hitch. He’s going to kiss me! He’s going to kiss me! Janice thought to herself. She started to panic. There was only one thing that flashed in Janice’s mind when his breath hit her face.

            Janice let her eyes flicker and tilted her head up, Jeremy’s eyes were closed, just as planned. Janice squeezed one of her hands in the snow and the other in Jeremy’s hair. Once Janice could feel his breath on her lips she reached her hand up and slammed her snow-filled hand into Jeremy’s face. Janice squealed and flinched back as some of the snow fell on her face. She peeked through her eyes as the wind started to pick up. Jeremy stared at her with his eyes wide. She sent him a sly smile.

             “Aren’t you going to be late for work?” Janice had totally forgotten about her first day at work! She quickly nodded to herself, pushed Jeremy off of her, and thanked Carrie before running up the stairs to change her wet clothes. After stripping off her wet shirt and trading it for a new sleeveless shirt, keeping on her dry skirt, Janice jogged over to the car with her heels in her hand.

“Bye Carrie!” Janice waved before slamming the door shut. The wind was getting stronger, but did nothing to phase the car. Jeremy leaned his head on his hand while he drove to the mall. Even in this weather, Janice didn’t see a difference in the number of cars in the parking lot as the two pulled up. “I finish at 4.” Janice informed Jeremy.

             He grunted in response. “Maybe next time don’t drag me in the snow!” Janice snapped in irritation. She slammed the door and waddled into the mall. Jeremy pulled out of the lot without a word. Janice twined herself into her jacket and shuffled into the mall entrance. She smiled into the warmth and headed towards Sunny Lane.

             Hopefully this day would start to look up for Janice. How could it get any worse?

 ~

            Janice was bored out of her mind. She had been in the store for 2 hours already and not one customer has shown up. Janice was mingling through the store, checking racks and sizes. “Hey, Janice!” Sidney popped out of the back. 

“Yes, Sidney?” Janice called back to the woman.

 “I’m going to step out for a second. Gonna grab some food. You want something?” Sidney asked as she pulled on her coat. Janice figured that she would be going outside of the mall.

 “Can you get me a coffee? When you come back?” Janice asked. Sidney nodded.

 “What do you take?”