Chapter 67

Bellatrix has changed her grip on me. Instead of just holding me by the back of my neck – as if I'm some kind of dog, I want to yell at the woman – she has wrapped an arm around me and is now holding my chin. I can feel her breath in my ear as I stare at the Ministry of Magic batch on Mr Warrington's robe.

Mrs Warrington – at least, I suspect she is Mrs Warrington – is sitting beside him and regards me as she sips her wine. Beside her is Cassius Warrington who looks perfectly comfortable in his seat.

"You mentioned she is a half-blood, Bellatrix?"

"Severus Snape's niece to be exact," Bellatrix answers from behind me.

Cassius Warrington's eyes flick between Bellatrix and me before frowning. Realisation seems to hit the man as he narrows his eyes at me. I suppress the urge to ask him if he expected something like that but decide to keep silent as I feel Bellatrix's nails dig into the skin of my cheeks.

Mrs Warrington stands up and places her now empty glass on the table before making her way over to where Bellatrix and I are standing. She circles us for a moment, her eyes moving up and down as she takes in my appearance. With a finger, she jabs my waist and chest and when I let out an indignant sound, Bellatrix hisses for me to be silent.

"What happened to her face?" the woman asks when she is standing back in front of us.

"She must have fallen when she was fleeing from Scabior and his crew," Mr Warrington answers. Mrs Warrington nods and after one last look up and down, she returns to the couch.

Sitting down again, she turns to her husband and remarks with a soft voice – but not soft enough for me not to hear – and a weird undertone: "She can be a good candidate for Cassius, we have been looking for so long and I do not like that Parkinson girl."

The way Cassius's expression changes into something smug makes me uncomfortable. As the two adults speak quietly with one another, I scan the room in search of a possible escape route. I need my wand before getting out of here, but I don't know where it went.

"Cassius, dear, what do you think?" Mrs Warrington's voice has me turn my attention back to the Warringtons. Cassius smiles smugly and answers without his gaze leaving me: "I think she is perfect. I noticed her at Hogwarts, but she was unavailable back then."

I'm still unavailable, you prick, I think. Perfect for what, though?

Mrs Warrington clamps her hands excitedly and says: "Well if Cassius thinks she's perfect, I think we have found her."

Bellatrix seems to be just as confused as I am as she asks confused: "Found who, Priscilla?"

Mr Warrington is the one who answers. "My wife and I have been looking for a good marriage-candidate for our Cassius. This girl seems to check all the boxes."

My eyes widen as I look between the two older people and Cassius who smirks at me. "What? NO! I'm not marrying him!"

Apparently, I catch Bellatrix off guard when I try to get out of Bellatrix's grip and I manage to get out. Before I can get far, Bellatrix grabs my arm and pulls me back. I keep struggling against her, not wanting to stay here any longer. I am not marrying Cassius Warrington, I'd rather just die.

"Keep still, filthy half-blood. These people paid for you," Bellatrix hisses as she tightens her grip on me. I try to stomp onto the woman's feet, but she is quicker.

"I'm not a piece of cattle you can buy!" I exclaim. "Let go of me!"

We end up with me on the ground and Bellatrix pressing a knee in my back. My shoulder ache and my wrist feel like they're burning, but I keep trying to get away from the woman. Bellatrix presses my face to the ground, and I catch the eye of a house-elf who is staring at me with wide eyes.

"I think we need to teach her some manner if you want Cassius to marry this one," Bellatrix says, "Severus clearly forgot them during her upbringing."

"Why don't you bring her to one of our guest rooms? We need to discuss the details of this engagement without interruption," I hear Mr Warrington say.

I feel Bellatrix's knee lift from my back but before I can try to get up, I'm hauled back onto my feet. Bellatrix is holding my arm and has her wand pointed at me as she sneers: "Start walking."

As I'm being led out of the room, I send a pleasing look over my shoulder at the three people on the couch. "Let me go, please."

None of them listen and Bellatrix drags me out of the room before I can say more.

Before we round the corner, I hear Mr Warrington order: "Don't hurt her, Bellatrix. she's no use to us if she gets hurt."

The black-haired witch mutters something under her breath before dragging me up the stairs to the first floor. More paintings frame the wall as we pass a few doors. A maid that passes eyes us shocked but when Bellatrix hisses at her, she quickly continues her way. Bellatrix opens a door at the end of the corridor and pushes me inside.

I stumble inside, my wrist still bound and unable to catch my fall.

"Hand me your wand," Bellatrix demands and I turn to face her.

Raising my eyebrows, I retort: "And how do you suggest I do that, huh? I don't even know where it is!"

The woman grabs the front of my coat and pulls me back onto my feet.

"I suggest you quit talking to me with that attitude," she hisses before looking over the shoulder. She seems to think about something before turning back to me, "I'll go back downstairs. If your wand isn't there, you'll be in big trouble."

She waves her hand and the rope around my wrists disappears. Still holding the front of my coat, Bellatrix narrows her eyes and before I can do anything, she pushes me back and I stumble back. A sadistic smile forms on her face as she slowly steps backwards out of the room.

"Enjoy your stay!"

As soon as she has left the room, the door closes. As quickly as I can, I try to get back on my feet and run towards the wooden door. Grabbing the doorknob, I try it, but the door is locked.

No spell works and I can hear Bellatrix laugh from the other side.

"Let me out of here! You can't keep me here against my will!" I yell as I rattle the doorknob. I start banging against the wood and exclaim: "Let me out!

There is no answer.

In the distance, I hear voices and after several more attempts of opening the door, I realise it won't budge. Turning around, I scan the room for other escape routes. There is a large window on the opposite side of the room with thick curtains in front of it.

After shoving the curtains aside, I examine the window frame. I juggle the handle, but it's locked as well, which isn't really a surprise but still disappointing. Defeated, I stare out the window into the dark night.

Please, Flamel, I pray, let Fleur at least be safe.

Not ready to give up yet, I investigate the whole room for any more escape routes. There is no other way out, even the small bathroom doesn't have a window that opens. As a last resort, I try the lamps in the hope they will go out and create some shadows for me.

After flicking the switch several times, I realise the lamps won't go out manually. The small chandelier on the ceiling shines brightly and the lamps on the wall and nightstand glow softly. The rest of the room is brightly lit and I lay down on the bed. Staring at the ceiling, I tell myself I'll try again tomorrow morning before someone comes for me. My whole body aches and I closely feel myself fall asleep as I think about more possible escape routes. I'm not giving up, I'll get out of this, I'm not marrying Cassius Warrington.