Chapter 99

It isn't a difficult decision and when we walk into the Great Hall that is already filled with students, I head to the Gryffindor table. Neville and Ginny look at me with wide eyes when I sit down. Leaning closer over the table, Ginny mutters: "Don't you have to sit next to him? You know, seeing you are his guest."

Her eyes shift to my uncle who has sat down in the seat Dumbledore used to sit.

"I preferred sitting among the students," I answer. Looking on both sides to see if anyone is listening in, I add: "Also, because clearly, you don't know you shouldn't steal from a Death Eater – the same one who is the Headmaster of Hogwarts – without getting caught."

Neville, who was pouring Pumpkin Juice in three goblets, freezes and Ginny quickly nudges him to avoid any pouring over. I smile at Ginny who looks at me with open mouth before asking quickly: "How in Merlin's name do you know that?!"

"The Headmaster himself told me," I answer, sipping from my goblet of Pumpkin Juice. Ginny breathes out relieved before smiling proudly and remarking: "We almost make it but Snape caught us when we were walking down the stairs."

The Halloween Feast appears on the table in front of us and we begin to fill our plates.

Still recovering from the shock, Neville tells me quietly: "We are happy we have to serve detention with Hagrid in the Forbidden Forrest – it's one of the better punishments."

Confused, I look at the blond-haired man while taking a bite from my steak. Neville looks around to see if anyone is listening in before explaining in a whisper: "Most students who have to serve detention are used to practice the Cruciatus Curse on."

"They're what?!"

Quickly, I place my hand in front of my mouth when I see some of the Gryffindor students look in our direction. Turning my head to look at my uncle at the head table, I feel angry raising up. Why would he allow that?

Ginny nods and Neville points at a scar on his cheek. "Alecto teaches Muggle Studies, which has become compulsory for everyone. We've all got to listen to her while she explains how Muggles are like animals, stupid and dirty, and how they drive wizards into hiding by being vicious toward them, and how the natural order is being re-established. I got this one for asking her how much Muggle blood she and her brother have on their hands."

Thinking back to the woman who welcomed me, I shiver and look over once more to the head table. Why is my uncle letting them do this?

The rest of dinner, Ginny and Neville catch me up on what is going on at Hogwarts and when we are done with dessert, I spot my uncle standing up and leaving the table. Cursing myself for not bringing my bag with the joke-products of the twins, I decide I will have to do it myself. After saying goodbye to the two Gryffindors, I stand up and leave the Great Hall.

I walk through the corridors, I spot a painted text on one of the walls "Dumbledore's Army, still recruiting" and can't help but smile.

"The club still exists, they have blown new life into it," a voice speaks and I look up to see my uncle walking in my direction. I don't answer, not wanting to betray Ginny and Neville and get them into more trouble. When my uncle is standing next to me, he remarks: "You were part of it, in your last year here, weren't you?"

I don't answer and want to open my mouth to ask my uncle about what is truly going on around here when I see some movement from the corner of my eye. Before I can turn around to see who is standing there, my uncle says: "No need to sneak up on us, Amycus."

From the darkness, the man from before walks up to us and without looking at me, he tells my uncle: "I am sorry to interrupt your family time, but you are needed somewhere else, Headmaster."