Chapter 14

Christmas day starts like it does almost every year since I started at Beauxbatons. It had been a shock the first year, but I have gotten used to it. Still, I would curse the girl if I had the chance.

"Wake up, Elena! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!"

Flora is jumping up and down around the room. I groan and push my face deeper into my pillow. Flora absolutely loves Christmas and always wakes up early to enjoy the day to its fullest. I open one eye and see the large grin on my best friend.

"Elena Dubos!" Flora shrieks and I wonder if the rest of the carriage is abruptly awoken by the volume of Flora's voice, "It is half past nine. I waited two bloody hours before waking you up. If you don't wake up in a minute, I will force you to."

There is a threatening tone to Flora's voice and I am reminded of what happened last Christmas when I decided for once not to do as Flora told me to. Her way of forcing me to wake up involved a Water-Making spell. Not wanting a repeat of last year, I grumble but sit up in my bed. A smile forms on Flora's face and she nods, pleased with my cooperation.

"It's time for presents!"

Still half asleep, I watch as the girl skips over to the small mountain of presents at the end of her bed. Flora's parents spoil her and her sibling a lot in an attempt to make up their long working hours. I crawl over to where my presents are.

I receive a copper scale to use for potion brewing and a book from my uncle, different items from Fred and George's newest product-line to test out, the sequel to the Muggle fantasy book I am reading from Xavier, new quills with special ink from Aline, and a Broomstick Servicing Kit from Henry.

The boxes of Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder and Patented Daydream Charm are colourful and I am inspecting them when Flora is ready for our little gift exchange. I go first, opening the large box to reveal a beautiful dress. The bodice is navy blue and the skirt is made from several layers. There are gemstones near the bottom of the dress, shining in the light. With wide eyes, I take the dress out of its box and stare at it with an open mouth. When I turn back to Flora, she beams, "That's why I told you not to buy something. I also got Aline a dress."

She points at another matching box and says: "Open that one too."

Inside the box are a pair of navy heels. I wonder how I am supposed to walk on those as I look over at Flora. My best friend shrugs at my facial expression and jumps off her bed to walk over to her closet. She shows me a strapless dark red dress with black heels.

It is Flora's turn next, and she carefully unwraps the gift I bought her. It is a new bag that matches perfectly with our uniform. Flora has been complaining about her old bag and when I saw this one, I knew it was perfect for the girl.

We spend the rest of the day playing games in the main room of the carriage. Madame Maxime had made sure to have breakfast and lunch delivered to the carriage so we don't have to go to the castle. When it's five o'clock, Aline, Flora, and I bid goodbye to the boys in order to get ready for the dance. Rosalia and Fleur join us in our room and the five of us start getting ready.

I do Flora's, Fleur's, and my own hair with a few spells and Rosalia does Aline's and my make-up. When we put on the dresses, it is a blur of helping each other zip up and finishing up the final touches. Once everyone is dressed, we all take a moment to look at each other's outfits.

"Fred won't know what is happening to him, that dress is amazing," Aline says when she eyes my dress.

"Aline, I think Henry will fall even more in love with you than he already is," Rosalia says dreamily. I have to agree with the girl; Aline looks gorgeous in her dress.