Chapter 20

As the months pass by, the weather gets better and better. We don't have to wrap ourselves in thick layers anymore when we head to the castle. The classes continue, as do the mountains of homework and the tests the professors hand us. As Beauxbatons students, we are completely used to the way Hogwarts works – I haven't gotten lost in weeks. The classes are interesting. Except for one.

"I have said it before," Xavier sighs, "And I will say it again. History of Magic at Hogwarts is the most boring subject ever."

The curly-haired boy has his head leaning on his table with his eyes closed. It looks like he is about to fall asleep and I nudge him to keep him awake. He is right, though. The professor keeps talking about whatever part of history we are currently discussing. I lean my head in my hand and look sideways at Xavier.

"How are things going between you and Finley, by the way? You haven't talked about him in ages."

Xavier opens one eye to look at me. A blush is creeping up his neck and he shrugs.

"You can tell me. I'll keep my mouth shut," I say, miming sealed lips and locking them with an invisible key. For dramatic effect, I throw the key away.

Xavier sits back up straight.

"Finley is nice. And very funny."

"I can hear a but there," I say, "Flora says there is always a but with me, but there is one with you too."

The boy glares at me and his shoulder sag. "I keep noticing the language barrier. You are English, your uncle is English, so you might not experience it with Fred. With me and Finley, it's different."

I nod in understanding. It might not be the case with Fred, but I know how annoying a language barrier is when it comes to talking to someone you like. Not being able to express yourself properly can really put a strain on a starting relationship.

Xavier has grabbed his quill and is catching up with the professor. I smile at his behaviour. Xavier isn't someone who talks a lot about his feelings. I decide to let it go and turn my attention back to the man in front of the class.

As we exit the History of Magic classroom, we see Flora waiting for us. It's time for lunch and Flora jumps up when she sees me.

"Aline and I – well, mostly I – have decided to have a ladies-day this Saturday. We're going to Hogsmeade," Flora says as we head to the Great Hall, "I have already informed Fred. He has to deal with it."

I laugh and have no other choice than to agree to the plans Flora has already made.

Like Flora informed me, Saturday morning, I am standing near the entrance of Hogwarts. Aline and Flora arrive moments later and we head to Hogsmeade. The rest of the day is spent shopping in all the little shops that Hogsmeade has. We spend money on clothes in a few shops and eat lunch in the same place me and Fred had lunch on our date. At the end of the day, I drag the two girls to Zonko's Joke Shop to buy a present for the twins' upcoming birthday.

Aline and Flora roam around the shop with frowns on their faces. I grab a Chinese Fortune Stick for Fred. He had eyed them the other day but didn't buy them. I snatch an extra-large package of Dungbombs for George. He had been complaining that he was running low.

"This is mental, why would someone buy that?" Flora points at a container with a Nose-Biting Teacup. Aline examines it closely and jumps when it makes a sudden movement. I smile, "I have no idea, Flora. Some people like it." 

My best friend shakes her head and mutters: "Britannique."

As we exit the shop, I spot Madame Maxime looking through the windows of the joke shop. I don't pay much attention to the woman but can see the disapproving look on her face and she eyes the bags I am holding. I follow Flora and Aline back to the castle.