Chapter 5

The Hogwarts's library is amazing. It's big and I am already in love with it. I spend a small hour in the library and end up writing part of my Transfiguration essay. I check out some books I might need for the rest of the essay and head to my final class of the day, History of Magic.

As soon as I enter the classroom, I hear my name being called. Xavier is sitting in the second row and waves at me. I take the empty seat next to him and begin to unpack my bag. We chat a little about Xavier's class and my work on the Transfiguration essay. When we turn to the professor, Xavier narrows his eyes and mutters: "Wait, is that a ghost?"

I burst out into laughter at the comment but when I focus my attention to the older wizard in the front of the classroom, my laughter dries down. The man is a ghost.

"Yes, he is," a voice pipes up from behind us, "The story that goes around is that he doesn't know he is dead, and that he one day just got up from his chair to teach and left his body behind."

Xavier and I share a look before turning around. The boy sitting behind us laughs at our faces and explains: "My grandmother is French, and I know some words. Ghost is one of them, don't ask me why."

That makes us laugh. The ghost professor starts the class and for an hour, we listen to him talk about the Great Goblin Wars and their influence on the current way we treat house-elves. I feel myself growing sleepier and sleepier and Xavier has to nudge me three times in order to keep me paying attention.

When the class is finally over and we walk out of the classroom, Xavier exclaims: "That was the most boring lesson I have ever attended. How are we going to survive this class for the rest of the year?"

Shocked, I stop in my tracks and place a hand on my chest: "What is this? Xavier Mason who thinks a class is boring?!"

With raise my wand and point it at Xavier, "Who are you and what have you done with my friend?"

Xavier looks at the point of my wand and then at me, laughing nervously.

"Elena, put the wand down," Henry's voice says from behind me. I turn my head to look at him and gesture to Xavier with my other hand, "Henry, you don't understand. This man acts like Xavier, but he isn't."

Henry laughs and takes my wrist to lower my wand. "You are overreacting."

"I'm not," I protest but put my wand away again. Henry looks at Xavier and asks: "What happened?"

Xavier doesn't get the chance to answer as I exclaim: "He said History of Magic is boring!"

Now it is Henry's turn to look shocked and he shakes his head, "Elena is right, who are you and what have you done with our nerd Xavier?"

"I am not a nerd, I just-" Xavier begins to protest but Henry interrupts him, "You get the highest grades of all of us."

I laugh at the glare Xavier shoot Henry before looking down. I wrap an arm around Xavier's shoulders and explain to Henry: "Hogwarts's professor that teaches History of Magic is a ghost and he has the most boring voice ever."

Henry eyes me as if I am the crazy one, but I gesture to the door of the classroom.

"Look for yourself if you don't believe me."

Carefully, Henry walks towards the door, dodging the students who are exiting the classroom. He looks into the room and when he turns back to us, his eyes are wide. He shakes his head with a laugh, "This school is getting weirder and weirder."

We head to the Great Hall for dinner where we are seated at the Ravenclaw table again. Before dinner starts, Albus Dumbledore tells us the rules of the Triwizard Tournament have changed and that if one wants to participate, they must be of age. Henry and I high-five but I hear a lot of complains from the students around us. Flora frowns.