Chapter 68

The sun is already high in the sky when I wake up the following morning. I almost jump out of bed when I see the shadow the tree outside my window leaves in my room. Crossing my fingers, I close the windows to make the room darker but as soon as I do that, the lights in the room turn on. With a frown, I look around and at the shadow on the ground that has appeared. Opening the curtains has the lights turning off again and I pray this will be enough.

"The Burrow," I say, pressing my back against the wall beside the door. Nothing happens and I curse under my breath.

"Spinner's End." Nope.

"Hogwarts." Nothing.

"Diagon Alley."

Tears well up in my eyes. I walk back to the window and try to open it again. Looking down into the garden, I see a few people working and I bang on the window. They either don't hear me or they are instructed to ignore me as nobody even looks up in my direction.

On the desk underneath the window is a plate with food and a glass of juice. My stomach grumbles at the sight of the food as the last thing I ate was dinner at Xavier's. I take one of the small slices of bread and as I eat, I wonder if Fleur made it back home safe. She didn't look well yesterday after apparating and I'm afraid she will pass out during apparation again. What if she ends up somewhere she can't reach the Order? Will someone come looking for me if something happens to Fleur?

My thoughts travel to Fred which makes more tears well up in my eyes. I should have listened to him and not go on this mission.

Time passes slowly. I have paced across the room for what feels like hours. The books in the small bookcase that frames one of the walls are mostly written in foreign languages I don't understand.

I'm lost in thought, seated in the large, plush armchair, when a house-elf appears in my room. The creature startles me and regards me with wide eyes. It places the tray it is holding on the desk and says softly: "Bibly brought dinner for Ms Elena."

Dinner consists of a small bowl of soup and a slice of bread. It's not much but I don't dare to ask the house-elf for more when it returns to collect the empty tray.

The following morning, I'm woken up by the same house-elf. The creature stands at the end of the bed and taps my leg softly.

"Bibly has come to wake up Ms Elena and brought breakfast."

I follow the house-elves gaze to the tray on the desk. Tiredly, I nod and want to turn around, but the house-elf speaks again: "Bibly was ordered to tell Ms Elena to eat breakfast and put on the dress. Mrs Warrington wants to speak with Ms Elena after she has finished her breakfast."

The house-elf watches carefully as I eat the single slice of bread and sip the water. The creature treats my wrists and the wound on my head with a lot of care before holding up the dress I'm supposed to wear. It's long-sleeved and reaches to the ground. I shake my head and cross my arms: "I'm not wearing that."

Bibly looks between me and the dress before her eyes shift to the door. It opens and closes its mouth a few times before whispering: "Bibly urges Ms Elena to wear the dress. Ms Lestrange will come to collect Ms Elena and she won't be happy if Ms Elena isn't wearing this."

The mention of Bellatrix gets me moving. Slowly, I change into the long-sleeved dress and let the house-elf clean and braid my hair. Seconds after the house-elf is finished, there is a knock on the door.

From the other side, a voice sneers: "It would be in your favour if you're ready when I open this door, you little brat."

The door opens and reveals Bellatrix who scans first me completely and then the rest of the room. When the house-elf sees her, it quickly grabs the tray from the desk before disappearing. The witch steps forwards with quick steps and grabs my arm. Her long nails dig through the fabric of the dress into my arm.