Chapter 47

That same afternoon, during our – otherwise unremarkable – Alchemy class, Professor Vespillo is interrupted by a loud explosion. He is in the middle of explaining how Nicolas Flame has managed to live until now by the use of the Philosopher's Stone. He stops his explanation and turns around.

"Ms Anna, why don't you go figure out what that sound is?"

Eagerly, Anna jumps up and heads out of the classroom. She has disappeared for a second when we hear another explosion. Professor Vespillo continues his explanation and I quickly write it down so Anna can copy what she missed later.

A couple of minutes later, Anna returns and tells the professor: "There are explosive fireworks flying through the castle. Umbridge is trying to fix everything as several professors have a piece of firework in their classroom, disrupting their classes."

Professor Vespillo nods and gestures for Anna to sit back down. When she moves to close the door, the older wizard shakes his head and tells her to keep it open.

Anna and I share a look when she sits down but we don't get a chance to talk as Vespillo continues with his class.

It doesn't take long before we realise why the door has to remain open. Through the open door, a piece of firework enters the classroom. Every student has moved their attention to the firework that is making colourful flowers in the air. Professor Vespillo sighs dramatically but his lips are curled into a smile.

"I should inform our new Headmaster about this. I cannot continue my class until it is removed. I'll be right back, please start reading the next chapter."

As soon as Vespillo has exited the classroom, we start talking among ourselves. It doesn't take long before the man returns with Umbridge on his heels. Umbridge's face is red – most likely from all the running she has been doing – and her hair and outfit are unkept.

"As I said, Headmaster, this firework is disrupting my class. I am unable to teach my students like this and if this continues, they will not be prepared enough for their N.E.W.T."

Umbridge sighs and she steps closer to the firework. Anna and I share a look as we hold our breath for what will happen next. I'm certain this is one of Fred and George's products and knowing them, it won't be easy to clean up.

"Evanesco!" 

As soon as the spell hits the piece of firework, it multiplies itself by ten. Now there are ten pieces of firework flying around, instead of one. Umbridge lets out a small scream when one of the pieces heads into her direction.

Professor Vespillo has sat down behind his desk and watches as Umbridge tries to get rid of the fireworks. It takes her almost twenty minutes to remove all the fireworks. Vespillo mutters something about complaining to the Minister when he sees him for their weekly game of cards this weekend. Umbridge pales at that but doesn't get the chance to respond as another professor enters the classroom to report about their classroom and the fireworks that are preventing them from teaching.

After Alchemy is over, we head to the Great Hall. On our way there, we bump into Fred and George who are looking very proud. Anna and I high-five George and I press a kiss on Fred's cheek. Anna tells them about our class and George asks eagerly: "Did you try Evanesco?"

Anna begins to laugh and nods, "The small piece of firework multiplied itself. The look on her face was priceless!"

The twins laugh and high-five each other. Together, we head to the Great Hall where Anna and I head to the Ravenclaw table where Evelyn and Diana tell us about their classes that were disrupted by fireworks. Kieran tops it all off with his story about his Muggle Studies class.