Chapter 10

At lunch, I bump into Xavier who sits down opposite of me. I have pulled out my book for Defence Against the Dark Arts book to do some preparing for the class I have after lunch.

"A distant cousin of mine once told me he was attacked by Inferi while he was on a mission in East-Europe," Xavier says when he sees the chapter I am reading, "I never believed him because he also told me about how he had tea with a pair of ghouls to discuss their rights."

I laugh at the face Xavier pulls.

After lunch, I head to the right classroom but on my way, I bump into Fred and George.

"Elena! Are you ready for our next class?" George wraps an arm around my shoulder and begins leading me through the corridors towards the classroom. I nod and turn to Fred who is frowning. Before I can say something or ask him what is bothering him, Angelina and Lee join us and start talking about the teacher.

Professor Moody is a bit of an odd professor. None of the professors back at Beauxbatons would teach the way this man does. He hobbles back and forth in front of the class while one of his eyes moves frantically around.

"The Inferius is a corpse that has been reanimated by the spells of a dark wizard," He grumbles, "It is not alive. It is merely used as a puppet to do the wizard's bidding. Does anyone know how to defend themselves against it if they would come across one?"

Several students raise their arms, including me.

"Ms Elena?"

"Fire. The Inferi fear both light and warmth," I answer and the professor nods. He talks about how to defeat Inferi and which spells are used to create one. For a moment, I wonder if the professor is actually going to pull out a corpse to show us how it is done, but he doesn't which is a relief.

Once the class is over, I bid the Gryffindor students goodbye by telling them I'm heading to the library. I don't have a class next period and want to start on the bunch of homework we have been assigned.

I'm almost at the end of the corridor when I hear a voice: "Elena, wait!"

Turning around at the mention of my name, I see Fred running towards me. He stops in front of me and takes a moment to catch his breath before sending me a smile. "Can I join you? I'm having trouble with Potions and as you are talented in it, I was wondering if you could help me."

"Of course," I agree, "Could you help me with those non-verbal spells we are talking about in Charms?"

Fred agrees and we walk through the castle to the library. Luckily, the library isn't packed with students, and we manage to find a free table within minutes. The table is near the back, close to the sections where we can find books about potions and spells. I place my bag on the table before going to collect some books we might need. As I browse the shelves, I feel someone's gaze burning on my back. When I look over my shoulder, I see Fred quickly focussing back on the shelf in front of him and I can't stop the smile forming on my face. Perhaps Flora is on to something this time around.

"Draught of Living Death," I open our book to the right page, "Since we are currently discussing it and are attempting to brew it next lesson. Do you want me to explain the basics to you or do you want any specific questions answered?"

"Start from the beginning," Fred answers and I nod, "It is a very difficult potion to brew and almost nobody can brew it correctly. My uncle showed me this summer how to do it and we almost brew up his favourite cauldron."

It takes me a while to start explaining the potion from the basic ingredients to the complicated way to add the right things at the right time. Potions has been my favourite subject and with my uncle being a Potion Master, I was taught from an early age how to brew almost every potion perfectly. I don't know if my uncle knows, but it has helped Henry and me with more than a couple of jokes.