Chapter 50

It's only one month left before the school year is finally over, but it feels like an eternity. We're buried in mountains of homework in preparation for our upcoming N.E.W.T.s and spend all our free time in the library. I have been dragging Lee with me every time I go study with my friends in an attempt to have the Gryffindor graduate in one go. I have been conversing with Xavier through letters about some of my Astronomy homework as the boy about to start an internship at the French Ministry's Space Department that works closely with Muggles.

"I love learning new things," Kieran sighs during another afternoon spent in the library, "Don't get me wrong, I love learning new things, but I hate having to study this much. Can't Flitwick just say, 'You have worked so hard the past few years, you don't have to take your N.E.W.T.s to graduate'?"

"McGonagall would never say that," Lee complains. His voice sounds muffled as he has placed his head in his hands and is staring down at the Transfiguration book in front of him.

"Only one more month left, boys," Diana says from behind her Ancient Runes dictionary.

Tom sigh too, "That is way too long, Diana. I want to stop right now, should I pull a Weasley?"

We all laugh at the saying and I throw a quill in Tom's direction. The Beater avoids it before throwing it back.

"You're realising you'll need another education after Hogwarts, right?"

The boy rolls his eyes, "Really, Dubos? I never realised that, in order to become a Healer, I needed more education. I thought they would just let me practise medicine straight out of Hogwarts."

I stick out my tongue and focus back on my Alchemy notes. We spend a few more hours in the library before heading to the Great Hall for dinner.

"Merlin's beard, I am starving!" Anna whines when we sit down at the Ravenclaw table.

A week later it's finally time for our N.E.W.T.s. The first one we have is Potions and when I enter the classroom where the exam will take place, I feel a little relieved as I'm sure this is the one exam I'll be good at. Angelina looks a little pale as she walks to her desk.

The written exam is a piece of cake, for me at least, and when I exit the classroom, I spot Angelina pacing the corridor rethinking her answers. During lunch, during which Angelina and I go through a few important things for the practical exam, she tells me about all the mistakes she thinks she made. I try to assure her not all of her answers were wrong. After lunch, it's time for the practical part and when I open the exam, I can't help but smile. To the best of your ability, finish this Veritaserum.

The next day, it's time for Divination and Arithmancy, but since I have neither, I get to sleep in. My roommates can't say the same thing as both Anna and Evelyn have Divination and Diana has Advanced Arithmancy. I spend my time in the library studying for the next day where the Charms exam is scheduled and help my roommates during lunch by quizzing them.

The Charms exam (both written and practical) goes well for everyone. It's not very surprising, seeing Flitwick has been tutoring the Ravenclaw on the side in the common room. Kieran exits the classroom with a smile after the practical part and brags: "The wizard taking my exam was very impressed by my non-verbal casting of Finite Incatentem!"

Thursday is for Alchemy and Muggle Studies and on Friday, it's time for Care of Magical Creatures. I'm glad I didn't take the last subject when Anna tells us enthusiastically about her practical exam that involved Chimaeras.

"I'm so glad Hagrid showed them to us this year," she says as she pours a cup of pumpkin juice, "They're such interesting creatures, truly!"

"Chimaeras are classified as XXXXX-beasts," Kieran says, a little perplexed. We stare at Anna with wide eyes and the brown-haired girl shrugs as she sips her drink. When she sees our expressions, she quickly adds: "Nobody got hurt. Everything went fine."