Chapter 42

Our date on Valentine's Day strengthened me and Fred. The leftover tension from the Christmas holidays disappeared and we're back to how we were before, just a little stronger. Fred has decided to have breakfast at the Ravenclaw table once a week and I join the Gryffindor table once a week. Nobody seems to think it's weird anymore to see one of us at the other's House table.

We're seated at the Ravenclaw table for breakfast this morning when Fred hands me the Quibbler. Confused, I stare at the colourful magazine and Fred flips it open with a sigh.

"Here, read this," Fred says and points at the article that takes up the two pages.

HARRY POTTER SPEAKS OUT AT LAST: THE TRUTH ABOUT HE-WHO-MUST-NOT-BE-NAMED AND THE NIGHT I SAW HIM RETURN, is the headline of the article. I look back up at Fred who points at the Daily Prophet Evelyn and I were sharing, "This is the truth. You need to read this instead of the lies the Ministry is feeding us through the Prophet."

The article is written by Rita Seeker who I vaguely remember from the Triwizard Tournament and is an interview with Harry about the events that occurred during the final task. Fred is right, it's a whole different story than what the Daily Prophet has been claiming.

There must be a hint of truth in the Quibbler article because Umbridge has banned students from having a copy of it in their possession. Most of the student body – and I suspect all our teacher too – has read the article by now. Luna has a proud expression on her face every time someone mentions the magazine and tells everyone who will listen that her father has been reprinting due to the great demand.

A few weeks after the publication of the interview in the Quibbler, I enter the Great Hall for lunch and notice everyone is chatting and staring at the teacher's table. After questioning my roommates who haven't spent their free period in the library, Anna tells me that Professor Trelawney has been sent away by Umbridge.

"I was heart-breaking," Anna says, sipping her pumpkin juice, "Trelawney was crying and begging Umbridge not to send her away from Hogwarts. Umbridge just stood there. With that creepy smile of hers."

Anna shudders and looks over at the teacher's table. Her lips curl up in a smile as she turns back to us, "Umbridge thought she was getting rid of the teachers that aren't cooperating with the Ministry, but she made a mistake. We're getting a new teacher today and I overheard a few fifth years saying Dumbledore appointed them himself."

"That will be fun," Diana remarks as she rereads her essay, "Dumbledore appointed this teacher to annoy Umbridge. He's still the headmaster and the only person allowed to appoint teachers."

The girl with purple streaks in her dark hair rolls up the parchment and placed the essay back in her bag. Turning back to us, she continues: "Yesterday, me and Bossio got summoned by Umbridge to discuss our responsibilities as Headgirl and Headboy."

Evelyn and I laugh at Diana's facial expression.

Diana glares at us, "That's not funny. Umbridge is going to reduce our responsibilities. Her precious Inquisitorial Squad is taking over our duties."

"You're kidding," Kieran says but when Diana doesn't answer, he asks again, more worried now, "You're kidding, right, Shafiq?"

"I wish I was. The only thing Bossio and I are allowed to do is send misbehaving students to those Slytherins. We're not even allowed to take away points!"

We're all staring at her with wide eyes. Diana looks over her shoulder to the Hufflepuff table where a stocky Headboy is staring surly at his breakfast. Bossio is a mean-looking boy, but he has a small heart.

"Bossio wasn't happy, neither of us was, but he voiced it to Umbridge's face. He's serving detention with her tonight, and she made a remark about replacing him as Headboy."