Chapter 51

"What? No!"

I cross my arms in front of my chest and stare at my uncle. "I know something is going on and I can help!"

My uncle shakes his head, unimpressed by my anger. I want to turn around to head back into Umbridge's office, but a hand on my shoulder stops me.

"Elena, go back to your friends and let other people handle this."

"Stop treating me like I'm a little child. I'm an adult who can take care of herself," I hiss back, shaking the hand off my shoulder.

My uncle ignores my words and starts heading down the stairs into the classroom. After one last look over my shoulder to the closed door of Umbridge's office, I quickly follow him. When I make to follow my uncle instead of heading to the Ravenclaw common room, my uncle stops me once again.

"I made a promise to your mother when you were born," he starts and I stare up at him, "If something would happen to her or your father, I would try my hardest to keep you from getting harmed. I intend to keep that promise. Return to your common room, Elena, or you'll be serving detention with me for the remaining weeks of the school year."

Caught off guard, I stare at the older wizard. The twitch of his mouth tells me he's losing his patience and I decide not to push my luck. Scowling, I turn on my heels and walk out of the corridor to the Ravenclaw Tower.

Before I round the corner, I hear my uncle call out my name and stop to look at him.

"It truly was an outstanding bottle of Veritaserum, Elena. I'm proud of you."

With a small smile, I nod. Feeling a little better, I decide not to go against my uncle and return to my common room. Anna and Evelyn are in the middle of a Muggle board game when I enter with Diana lounging on the sofa beside them. They invite me to join their next round and get Diana to play as well.

The next day, during breakfast, Lee fills me in on what happened. I frown as I hear about the fighting at the Ministry. Lee is bummed he didn't get to play a part in the action as the Inquisitorial Squad caught him as the culprit who brought in the Nifflers and he was serving detention with Filch.

Less than a week later, Umbridge has officially been fired and Dumbeldore returned to Hogwarts, we receive our N.E.W.T. results. Professor Flitwick has gathered all the seventh-year students in his office. Everyone is buzzing with anticipation as Flitwick walks around and hands each student a sealed envelope. When everyone has gotten once, he gestures to us to open them.

Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test – RESULTS

Pass Grades: Outstanding (O)

Exceeds Expectations (E)

Acceptable (A)

Fail Grades: Poor (P)

Dreadful (D)

Troll (T)

ELENA DUBOS HAS ACHIEVED THE FOLLOWING RESULTS:

ALCHEMY: O

ASTRONOMY: E

CHARMS: O

DEFENCE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS: E

HERBOLOGY: O

POTIONS: O