Chapter 40

The next day, all the Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione apologize to me.

"I am sorry for being such an idiot," George mutters when he and Fred join me and my roommates at the Ravenclaw table for breakfast. He looks a bit sheepish as he pours two cups of coffee and reaches to grab a piece of sausage. I smile at him and accept one of the cups with coffee.

We have Potions after breakfast and as we head to the dungeons, George wraps an arm around my shoulder. He smirks when I turn my head and raise my eyebrows in question.

"So, Dubos, I was thinking-"

I send him a look and roll my eyes. Fred grabs my hand and pulls me towards him, making George's arm fall off my shoulder.

"-since you are Snape's niece and all that, perhaps you can put in a good word for us. You know, making sure he stops treating us so harsh. We're harmless, really!"

Fred sends him brother an annoyed look and I laugh at the two. Shaking my head, I tell George: "I'm sorry but I don't think I can help you with that. He's been treating me just like any other student and he surely won't play favourites."

George snorts at that but frowns at the same time. I heard from Diana George has to serve detention tonight with Snape and had been looking for a way out of it.

We arrive at the classroom in the dungeons moments later where Lee is waiting for us. He bursts out laughing when he sees the look on George's face and smirks: "I told you she can't help you."

George continues to complain as we take our seats. I take my usual seat which makes Fred want to take the one next to me, but Angelina kicks him back to his own next to George. The girl rolls her eyes at my boyfriend and smiles at me when she sits down.

"We will be making Amortentia today," Snape says as he steps into the classroom. Around me, the other students start chatting excitedly and I can't suppress a smile. Win the bet, choose the potion. My uncle catches the smile on my face and I can see him roll his eyes lightly as he continues: "The instructions are on the board. I suggest you start immediately."

Within no time, every student in the classroom is bowed over their cauldron and textbook while furiously cutting ingredients and praying their cauldron won't explode. (That's a guaranteed detention with Snape.)

We're half-way into brewing the potion when Angelina speaks up for the first time since we started. Her brown hair is pulled into a messy bun and her potion is the correct turquoise colour after adding the newt blood.

"I love this potion," the girl giggles, "I keep wondering what it will smell like for me."

On the other side of the table, Diana responds: "I'm curious too. I've never smelled one before."

We continue brewing the potion and Diana and Angelina discuss what the potion might smell like for them. When the class is almost over and everyone has handed in a vial with their potion, Snape is looking at each one with close eye.

"Not everyone has fully finished the potion, or has done it right," Snape looks over at a nervous-looking Hufflepuff student who is trying to hide their exploded cauldron from view, "But Ms Dubos managed to brew a nearly perfect Amortentia. I suggest you all take a whiff to experience it." 

Every student in the class forms a line behind me and Snape gestures me to smell the potion. I lean forward to smell the cauldron filled with the potion with a mother-of-pearl sheen. The smell of metal tools, leather, and fresh grass hits my nose and I smile, Fred.

Taking a step aside, I let the others smell too and Angelina giggles when she takes a step away from the cauldron in my direction. After Fred has smelled the potions, he stands straight again with a big smile. After he walks towards me, he whispers: "Godric, I do love your lavender shampoo."