Chapter 57

When I wake up the second time, I feel like something is missing. I turn around and realise it's not something that is missing, but someone. Fred isn't lying in bed with me. When I open my eyes, I have to blink a few times against the bright light coming from the open windows.

Fred is standing in front of the mirror and George is nowhere to be found. I yawn which catches Fred's attention and he turns around with a smile. "Good morning, love, did you sleep well?"

Stretching my arms, I yawn and nod. "After George woke us up, fine. Family brunch today?"

Nodding his head, Fred continues working on his hair, "I think one of my brothers will join us today, he wrote Mum he was in town and would try to be present at brunch."

I climb out of bed and gather my clothes from the stair I dumped them on last night. Fred hands me one of the sweaters, a black one with a light-blue F, and presses a kiss on my lips as I walk past him to the bathroom. After a fresh shower, I bump into Ginny and Hermione who both look like they're still half asleep. With the two girls, I head downstairs for breakfast.

"Good morning," Molly greets us as we enter the kitchen. The smell of food makes my stomach growl and my mouth water. Bill walks up to us and hands me and Ginny a cup of coffee before handing a cup of tea to Hermione. I mutter a thank you as I take small sips of the hot liquid.

Molly turns to us and smiles: "Brunch will be served soon, why don't you three head to the living room?"

Ginny grumbles something that makes Bill laugh as we head to the living room. Fred and George are already seated in the armchairs, and I spot Arthur talking to a familiar red-haired man.

"Charlie?"

Surprised, the freckled man and I stare at each other. Charlie stands up from the sofa he was sitting on and takes a step in my direction. "Elena? What are you doing here?"

"Wait, you two know each other?" Fred asks, looking in between Charlie and me. Charlie nods and gestures to me, "She works at Madame Malkin's. The girl that made sure my jacket was fixed within a week so I could return to Romania as soon as possible. I told you she's totally your type but you didn't listen as you were too busy writing your girlfriend."

He turns back to me and says: "That doesn't explain why you're here. Wearing Fred's... sweater?"

"Elena will be joining us for brunch," Molly answers. She has left the kitchen and is standing in the doorframe.

"That answers one question. What about the sweater?"

"She is wearing the sweater because she needed something to wear as she slept here last night."

Still a little confused, Charlie looks at his mother: "And why did she sleep here?"

George answers that question: "Because she is Fred's girlfriend."

Realisation is written all over Charlie's face when he finally seems to understand the situation and he looks between Fred and me, his mouth a neat 'o'.

"With everyone up to date, shall we eat?" Molly suggests and in no time, everyone is seated at the large table outside. The table is filled with all sorts of food and two kettles fly around, refilling everyone's cups with coffee or tea. Fleur sits down opposite me and smiles. Fred takes the seat on my left and Ginny the one on my right. Fred places a hand on my knee once he is seated and squeezes it lightly which makes me laugh. Charlie and Bill take the places beside Fleur and both Molly and Arthur take a seat at the heads of the table. With everyone seated, we begin eating.

During brunch, I catch up with Charlie and tell him about the last two years I spent at Hogwarts. In return, Charlie tells me about his job as a Dragonologist in Romania and how he has been recruiting foreign wizards and witches for the Order of the Phoenix.

"Zat is a good idea," Fleur says. I take a sip of my orange juice and nod: "We could do the same in France."

"Our friends live there and mon père 'as plenty of connection through 'is job," Fleur nods.

Bill looks at bit troubled when she suggests it and Arthur shakes his head: "We currently have enough people. If you want to you, we will have to discuss it with Dumbledore and Mad Eye."

Once brunch is over and we play another game of Quidditch – Ron and Charlie join us this time around. Fred is quick to claim me for his team and Ginny beats George in joining me and Fred. With six people, the strategy is different. One of us can act as a Keeper to stop the Quaffle from going through the loops whereas yesterday, that wasn't possible. Fred offers to be our Keeper and Ron acts as the Keeper for the other team. Ginny remarks something about good practice before aiming the Quaffle at Ron's head.

With two more players, the game is more challenging. The result is 150-140 for Ron, George, and Charlie.

I head home after a shower and dressed in my own clothes. After promising Ginny I'll be over again soon with my own flying robes and broom, and promising Fred and Molly to return when needed, I travel back to Spinner's End.

The weather has cleared significantly. I step out of the shadow in the small hallway of the house and when Wormtail appears from the kitchens, he looks disappointed when he sees it's me. With his small eyes narrowed at me, he bows and mutters: "Welcome back, Ms Dubos."

I ignore the man and head to the brewing room. My uncle looks up from his cauldron when I enter.

"You have returned," he acknowledges. I shrug and head over to one of the bubbling cauldrons, "I need to work tomorrow."

We work through the stack of orders in silence. Fuzzle eyes me when I tie a parcel of potions to her leg. I hand her a treat before attaching the order. I watch her fly off before turning and packing the next order. My uncle has a few customers – besides the few werewolves ordering Wolfsbane Potions – that come to him for special potions that are difficult to brew and expensive to buy. Wormtail informs us our dinner is ready hours later and I head to my room once dinner is over.

The next day, I have an afternoon shift at Flourish and Blotts. When I enter the bookstore, Maika is helping a customer but nods at me in greeting. I head to the back to store my cloak and pop by the office to say hi to Mr Fowler. When I return to the front of the store, Maika looks relieved to see me.

The green-haired witch hands me a stack of books before heading to the back. I shake my head and start levitating the books to their rightful place in the store. Maika returns a minute later with her cloak on and I raise my eyebrows, "Do you have the afternoon off?"

Maika smiles and says: "I'm going to a Muggle band with a few friends. We're having dinner and a few drinks at someone's house before heading to the band."

As the witch leaves the store, I wish her a fun afternoon before turning back to the work at hand. The afternoon is mostly uneventful: I help a few customers, I collect some orders and sent them off, and Fred pops by to ask me a few potion-related questions for one of their newest products that don't seem to work the way they want to.

At the end of my shift, I close the door and head to Mr Fowler's office to grab my things. He hands me a small bag with my salary for last week and says as he looks out the window: "You should go straight home, Elena. It's getting dark and you shouldn't be alone after dusk."

Accepting the bag of coins, I grab my coat and exit the shop. With a wave at Mister Fowler through the window, I head home, hoping my uncle doesn't have visitors again.