Chapter 13

We get to sleep in the next day, due to it finally being winter holiday. Flora and I have enchanted our windows and curtains to let in as little light as possible. Still, it's before nine o'clock when I wake up. After tossing and turning in bed for another half hour and my stomach making itself known, I decide to get out of bed to get some breakfast. I don't even attempt to wake up Flora, knowing she won't leave her bed before it is at least after lunch. I wrap myself in thick layers, not having to wear my uniform today, before I head to the Great Hall.

The Great Hall is not empty but not as crowded as normally around this time of the morning. I pick a quiet spot and pull out a book while I pour myself a cup of tea. Halfway through my breakfast, I get company. Lee has a big smile on his face when I look up from my book.

"Good morning, Lee," I smile, "Is there something I can help you with?"

The boy shakes his head, still smiling. "Nothing special. I decided I wanted to work on those international friendships they have been pressuring us to forge. I saw you sitting here all alone and thought you might like some company."

"Sure," I smile and close my book.

Lee seems happy with that answer and grabs a piece of toast. "What are you planning on doing today?"

I tell Lee about my plans to visit the library to finish the assignments due after the holiday and how I want to take a walk across the grounds. Anna had told me Hogwarts was at its most beautiful when covered in snow. Lee offers to keep me company and after we both have finished breakfast, we head to the library.

On our way there, I ask the Gryffindor: "Where are Fred and George? Normally, you are inseparable."

"Those two are still in bed, I believe, not getting out until lunch. I am quite an early bird and like the quietness of the mornings."

I nod in understanding. We enter the library and find a quiet table in the back. We start working on our assignments and for the classes we share, we help each other complete the essays. Halfway through the morning, Lee leaves to grab some books but stays away longer than expected. When he returns, he is holding a bottle of pumpkin juice and a bag of cookies. Surprised, I look at the bottle and ask: "Where did you get those from?

"I bumped into Angelina who was on her way back from the kitchens, don't you like pumpkin juice?"

Lee opens the bottle and conjures two goblets. He pours us each a goblet and shoves one towards me.

"I'm more of a Bubble Juice person but pumpkin juice is fine," I answer, opening the bag of freshly baked cookies. Once the cookies and pumpkin juice have been consumed, we return back to working on our homework.

We are finished right before lunch and head back to the Great Hall. Lee joins me once again at the Ravenclaw table since Fred and George are still nowhere to be seen. A few Ravenclaw students look at Lee when he sits down but nobody sends him back to his own table.

After lunch, we head outside. Before we leave the Great Hall, I scan the Gryffindor table and remark: "Your best friends really do sleep in long. It's lunchtime and they still are nowhere to be found."

Lee ignores the comment but there is a small smile framing his lips as we head outside. We bump into Angelina who I invite to join us but the girl shares a look with Lee before declining. I shrug it off and my attention is drawn away from the strange behaviour of the girl when we step outside the castle. Anna was most definitely right; the Hogwarts grounds are beautiful, covered in snow. Lee laughs at my facial expression and starts descending the hill.

"Let's go, Elena, I will give you a little tour."

We pass the carriage and head towards the lake. We are halfway down the hill when I am hit from behind. Quickly, I turn around and almost fall over. It seems to have been a snowball but I can't see who threw it. I rub the snow off my scarf and frown. It must have been a snowball from one of the younger students that flew off course.