Chapter 107

The ceiling of the Great Hall is dark and scattered with stars when we enter. If we were not about to fight the Death Eaters, I could have looked at the ceiling for hours. Fred squeezes my hand lightly while we walk past the four tables that are filled with students who look both tired and scared. We walk to the platform where the teacher's table used to stand and take our place among the members of the Order who are standing behind Professor McGonagall.

Flora stands on my right and George stands on Fred's left side. Professor McGonagall's voice sounds stern, worried, and strong at the same time while she explains to everyone in the Hall what is going to happen.

"The evacuation will be overseen by Mr Filch and Madame Pomfrey. Prefects, when I give the word, you will organize your House and take your House-members in orderly fashion to the evacuation point."

I notice that many of the students – mostly the younger ones – look absolutely terrified. Some of the older students (I recognize some of my time at the DA) look ready to fight. A Hufflepuff student stands up at the Hufflepuff table and asks loudly: "And what if we want to stay and fight?"

Students begin to clap and a smile forms on my face.

"If you are of age, you may stay," Professor McGonagall nods.

"What about our belongings?" someone asks. "Our trunks, our owls?"

The students begin to whisper to each other, worried. Professor McGonagall shakes her head and answers: "We have no time to collect possessions. The important thing is to get all of you out of here safely."

"Where's Professor Snape?" I hear someone ask and follow the voice that belongs to a black-haired girl from the Slytherin table. A small stab of worry goes through me when I hear my uncle's name. On one side, I hope he is alright – but on the other side, he betrayed us all.

"He has, to use the common phrase, done a bunk," Professor McGonagall replies and a cheer erupts from the Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw students.

From the corner of my eye, I see Harry walk through the Hall. Professor McGonagall ignores Harry and continues: "We have already placed protection around the castle, but it is unlikely to hold for very long unless we reinforce it. I must ask you, to move quickly and calmly, and do as your prefects-"

She is cut off by a different voice that echoes throughout the Great Hall. The voice is high, cold, and very clear. I look around, but there is nobody speaking and I can't see the source of where it can come from.

"I know that you are preparing to fight."

I hear students scream in the distance while the voice echoes through my head. Fred wraps an arm around my waist to pull me closer.

"Your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me. I do not want to kill you. I have great respect for the teachers of Hogwarts. I do not want to spill magical blood."

A cold silence goes through the Hall.

"Give me Harry Potter," the voice says, "and you shall not be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave the school untouched. Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded. You have until midnight."

Another silence follows and I see all the students turn to Harry who is now standing in the middle of the Great Hall. From the corner of my eye, I see a figure rise from the Slytherin table – another black-haired girl – who raises a shaking finger to point at Harry and screams: "But he's there! Potter is there. Someone grab him!"

Before anyone can say something, all of the students begin to move. The Gryffindors in front of Harry are now standing, facing the Slytherins with angry faces. The Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws follow them. Some of them have pulled out their wands, ready to attack anyone who tries something.