Chapter 43

Theo

Days turned to weeks and she continued to act like nothing has happened, keeping me at a safe distance. Her walls are higher than before. We don't argue but we don't talk either. We just take care of our daughter and that's it. It's eating me inside. It's almost Christmas already and things are pretty much the same.

'Mom? I need you to take Eva with you when you go shopping for the Christmas presents. Make sure you take dad as well.' I tell her while walking into the kitchen.

'Oh... OK. What are you up to, Theo?'

'I'm going to get her back.' I smile at her and she lights up with joy.

'The house is all yours for the day. Don't worry, I'll make her stay at home. Good luck.' She winks at me and leaves the kitchen.

One hour later, she is carrying Eva to the car with dad following her while holding Ella's hand.

I go to the living room and find Rose drinking some wine and watching a movie.

'Mind if I join you?' I ask her with a tempting smile on my lips. I can hear her breath hitch when she looks at me. She doesn't say anything, she just points at the couch for me to sit down. A bottle of wine later, she is giggling and laughing at how silly she is because she gets scared when watching horror movies.

I go to the kitchen and open another bottle of wine. I return to the living room and see her exposed leg. She is wearing a loose silk robe and I'm pretty sure she has little clothing underneath. Her skin glow lures me to taste her body again, but I need to be patient. I pour her another glass of wine and hand it to her.

'Truth or dare?' I ask her with a smile in the corner of my lips. Her eyes open in surprise but she doesn't object.

'It's how everything begun, right?' She takes a sip of wine and then licks her lips. My pupils dilate looking at her. I try to contain myself and sit down on the armchair next to the couch.

'You still haven't chosen.' I raise my eyebrow, waiting for her answer.

'Truth.' She says, looking me straight in the eyes.

'Do you hate me?'

'No. I don't hate you. As much as I want to blame it all on you, I have my share of this mistake too.' She answers me truthfully.

'Your turn. Truth or dare?'

'Dare.' I tell her, my eyes never leaving hers.

'Hmm... rub my feet.' She tells me while putting her feet on my lap. I start gently massaging her feet, while gently carresing her leg upwards and then returning back to her feet. Her heartrate spikes up, meaning I still affect her, but she doesn't stop me.

'Truth or dare, Rose...'

'Truth.' She answers me with a shaky voice. I continue rubbing her feet, making sure to drive her crazy.

'If you don't hate me, what do you feel towards me?' I ask her.

'You're the father of my daughter and the only man I've loved.'

'Do you still love me?' I ask her but she cuts me off.

'It's my turn, Theo.' She gives me a small smile. 'Truth or dare?'

'Truth.'

'You said you still love me. How about the period when you were away. Did you sleep with other women? She asks me with visible hurt written all over her face. She is so broken.

'I don't remember much, Rose. I only remember feeling guilty. The small flashes of sanity that I've had during those months, I've spent rotting away in guilt and missing you. And right before I gathered strengths to try and come back, the darkness would pull me in again.' I look at her face and see all sorts of emotions passing her mind. She takes her legs off me and looks down. Her walls are crumbling down.

'Truth or dare?' I ask her and take another big sip of wine.

'Truth.' She answers, trying to maintain her composure but I can see her inner turmoil.

'Will you ever forgive me for everything that has happened?' I ask her a bit afraid of what she might answer.

'I have already forgiven you, Theo.' She finishes her glass and I pour her another one. 'Your turn.'

'Dare.' I tell her before she could even ask the question.

'I dare you to hold me in your arms.' Her voice is almost a whisper and panic is written all over her face. I get up and sit next to her, putting my arm around her waist and pulling her into my arms. She gasps at my touch and I feel her skin shiver.

'Truth or dare, Rose.' I wisper against her temple.

'Truth.' She is now shaking in my arms.

'Do you want me back, dimples?' She winces when I call her by the nickname I chose for her so many years ago.

'I do.' Her voice is trembling as tears start pouring on her face. 'I promised myself I wouldn't be weak in front of you ever again.' She says while hiding her face in the crook of my neck.

'You are not weak, my love. If anything, you are the strongest woman I've ever met. I have broken your heart so many times and yet it still beats for me. You've raised our daughter while you were a newborn vampire. You haven't even drank from a vein. You walk among humans and not rip them apart. You are the most amazing woman on this Earth and I don't understand why you love me. But I want to make it up for my mistakes for the rest of our lives.'

I get off the couch and down on one knee.

'You may say no, if you want to, but I will ask you anyway.' Her face is drenched in all the tears puring down her cheeks.

'Rose, Dimples... You and my daughter are the light that guided me out of the darkness. I love you both more than my life. I will spend my entire existence making you both feel happy and loved. So, will you do me the honour of marrying me?'

I take out a small red box, opening it and revealing the pink diamond ring inside.