Chapter 9

Rose

Today is my 18th birthday. Today is the day I should have returned to live with Theo, that's what he said when he told me I would live with his sister and her husband. I graduated two months ago, first of my class. Selena and Dorian were so proud of me. They both love me so much and I adore them. They've been like the parents I've always dreamed of and even more. I know it will probably break their hearts to see me leave this place, but I have to. 

After he left, I felt a hole in my heart. People kept leaving me my entire life: my mom, my dad, uncle Rafe... and then Theo. But he isn't dead. He could return any day and I want to be the first face he sees when he walks through the door. I want him to feel like a jerk for leaving me scared and alone with his relatives. Uncle Rafe didn't ask for Selena and Dorian to take care of me, he asked him. And he failed miserably. 

Selena stands in my doorway, with a worried look on her face.

'Rose, think about this. What are you going to do in that big house by yourself?'

'Selena, I already told you. I will have the maid that will live with me. The house already has a top security system and I will come to visit you every two weekends, even every weekend if you wish so.'

'Rosie, sweetheart, haven't we given you all our love and support? Have we ever failed you?'

'No, Selena. You were perfect. Both of you. It is he who failed me.'

Selena lifts her arm and brings it to my chest, touching my necklace.

'And yet, you still haven't taken this off since the day you found it under the Christmas tree.' She tells me while looking at my winged necklace. 'He broke your trust, I understand.'

'No, Selena. It's much more than that. He broke me.' I tell her while tears crawl in my eyes. I don't want to cry. I never understood what I felt the day he left. I never even understood how I could trust him so easily, how I could care for him. But I will understand now. I will face all my feelings that have haunted me all these years.

'Come on. I want to say goodbye to Dorian.' I tell her while grabbing her hand.

We both walk in Dorian's office. As usual, he's on the phone, always busy. He ends the call as soon as he sees me.

'So... you are really going to do this...' he says with a sad look on his face.

'I am... Thank you for loving me and taking care of me.' I tell them with tears in my eyes. 'I love you both more than everything.' They both hug me and kiss my cheeks.

'Call us as soon as you land. We already arranged for your bags to be taken at Theo's place and also the piano was already moved.' Dorian tells me.

'Thank you, Dorian.' I smile warmly at him.

'Before you go, you received an answer from the Law University.' Selena smiles at me.

'I supposed you opened it, right?' I ask her playfully.

'I did.' Selena says blushing.

'Aaaaand? Are you going to tell me or not?' I ask her.

'You got in, of course. Congratulations.' They both hug me again and kiss my hair. 

This is one of the best feelings in the world. Having people love you, feel proud of you, protect you. This is what life is all about. I smile to myself as I walk towards the car. The driver is waiting for me. Dorian never had a driver, but since I didn't want them to drive me to the airport, he had to hire one for the day.

Two hours later I am sitting in front of the door, afraid to touch the handle, afraid to face every emotion that stains my soul. I breathe in and enter the house. Everything is exactly the same. Dorian had the place repainted and cleaned one week ago, when I first told him about my plan to return here on my birthday.

'Happy birthday to me!' I sing out loud while dropping my bag on the couch.

I enter the living room and see the piano sitting in a corner, next to a big window showing the pool area. There is a box on the piano. I open it and I see a small chocolate cake inside. 

'Happy birthday, Rosie!' I read the message on the cake and start to cry. 

'Pull yourself together, Rose. You wanted this. Grab a piece of cake and go watch some Netflix or something.' I say to myself out loud.

My phone rings. It's Selena. I quickly wipe my tears away and answer the phone.

'Hey!'

'Hey sweetheart. Did you get home?'

'Yes. Just got here. Thank you for the cake.' I tell her.

'I know you said you don't want to celebrate but please, humour an old soul and light up the candle and make a wish.' She asks me. I roll my eyes but decide to please her.

'Ok. Let me make this a video call so you can see me. Is Dorian there also?' The call turns to video and I see Dorian sitting next to her.

'I'm here.' He waves his hand.

'Ok. Stay tuned. Lighting up the candle as soon as I find something to light it up with. I'll check the kitchen. Wait a second.' 

I go to the kitchen and find some matches and return to the cake. I light up the candle and hold the phone up so Selena and Dorian can see me.

'Make a wish, Rosie!' Selena says.

I wish Theo would come back! I silently pray in my mind and blow the candle while Selena and Dorian applaud me.

'Happy birthday, sweetheart.' They both say at the same time.

'Now, tomorrow evening the maid will come to talk with you. You decide when you want her to move in.' Selena says.

'Get some rest. Good night!' Dorian waves his hand again.

'Good night to you too. Thank you for the cake.' I tell them and I end the call.

It's already dark outside. I light up the lampshade next to the piano and sit down on the chair. I run my fingers on the keys and feel the urge to play. I start playing my favorite piece and let the music soothe my soul, enchant me to the point I no longer hear or see anything else. As I approach the end, I hear a deep voice behind me, making my blood freeze.

'Rose?' 

__________________________

Don't be a silent reader! Vote and comment! Promise I'll reply to you ❤ i would love to know your ideas and opinions on my characters. Xoxo