Chapter 7

Rose

It's been three months since Theo got sick. They won't let me see him or tell me what's wrong with him. I am afraid. What happens to me if he doesn't get well? I wonder the halls at night and hear him grunting and panting from his room, but his door is always locked.

He never comes to breakfast or any other meal of the day. Selena is extremely worried for him. Dorian called two of his scientist friends to help take care of him. They are both really nice people and take care of me together with Selena and Dorian. Everybody treats me like a princess, but I feel alone sometimes. Also, I miss Theo. I want him to spend time with me.

It's almost 11 pm and I can't sleep. I put on my slippers and go roaming on the hallways. I pass again by Theo's door and hear him panting from the other side.

I put my hand on the handle and the door opens. Theo is laying on his bed, covered in sweat, tossing and turning around, like he's having a nightmare. His skin looks weird, his veins are popping up on his temples while he crushes his teeth against each other.

'Theo?' I reach out to touch his face. He is so cold.

He's dressed only in a pair of trousers. That's why he is cold. I take a blanket that is thrown on the armchair and cover him with it.

'Come back to me, Theo. Your family is awesome, but I also need you.' I tell him while placing my hand on his cheek. He calms down under my touch. I move the armchair next to his bed and sit down. I start telling him about school, about my new friend, about the fact that Selena bought me a piano and Dorian is teaching me how to better play it.

His breathing is now normal. He looks peaceful asleep. I start to feel sleepy as well and I soon doze off cuddled in the armchair while holding his hand.

'Rose?' A hoarse male voice wakes me up the morning.

'Hmpf?' I murmur while moving my head on the other side of the armchair.

'Rose, wake up.' I feel a cold hand squeezing mine and I open my eyes to see Theo sitting up on his bed.

'Theo!' I can't hide my happiness. I know I should be rebel and not caring, but I was never like that. I was always the good kid on the block. Uncle Rafe used to say that I am special and that I don't have a single bad bone in my body. He used to call me his angel.

I lift myself to a sitting position also. 'That armchair is definitely not for sleeping. My entire body hurts.' I mutter.

'Well, you shouldn't have been sleeping on it in the first place. You shouldn't have been in my room. You could have been hurt.' He tells me visibly concerned.

'Hurt? By who? Theo, I think your illness got to your head. You were here all the time. Nobody could hurt me, beast.' I tell him and he cracks a small smile.

'Yeah, yeah. But you should have stayed out of my room anyway.'

'I was worried, ok? You're the only one I have left.' I tell him with embarrassment.

'Don't be silly, dimples. My family is your family whether you want them or not.' He smiles in the corner of his mouth.

'Ok, sleeping beauty. Time to go out and enjoy some sunshine. You and me are going to find some damn burgers on this island. You owe me for 3 months worth of burgers.' I laugh at him.

'Damn, dimples. Better pray those burgers won't ruin your figure.'

'I have many years ahead of me to complain about my figure. Now, get dressed. See you in the living room in 15 minutes.'

'Make it 20, I have to shower also.' He winks at me and I feel myself blushing.

'Fine, old man.' I tell him and I go to my room.

Theo

I put on a pair of dark jeans and a t-shirt. It's quite chilly outside. I look at my phone. I have hundreds of voice mails all from the women I usually fuck. Everything is a blur in my mind but the thirst is gone. I can't feel it anymore, at least for now.

'You're up.' I hear Ivy's melodic voice in the doorway.

'Yeah, I'm up. And it's fucking November! You kept me on garlic serum for three fuckin' months!' 

'Peachy as usual, I see. Your father did say to you three months. At least that's what he told me.' Ivy explains.

'Yeah... Sorry for yelling. I'm just confused. I woke up with Rose in my room. Who left the door unlocked? I could have killed her.'

'But you didn't. You came back to us. God knows the poor girl had been a shadow around your door for 3 months. She really cares for you, big baby.'

'Always with the nickname.' I smile at her.

'Oh, indulge an old lady. It's the one thing that stayed the same during all these years.' She winks at me. 'Drink up!' She throws a blood bag at me and I catch it. 'Your reflexes seem good. Apart from the general confusion, how are you feeling?' 

'I'm ok. The thirst is not clouding my mind anymore. I guess we dodged the bullet.' I tell her while drinking my bag.

'Marvelous.' She claps her hands. 'Your parents will be very happy.'

'They won't be once they hear I'm leaving.'

'Where are you leaving?' Ivy asks me concerned.

'I told my father that if this works, I will join the army and go to Iraq or somewhere else. If fucking my brains out didn't work, maybe killing bad people will keep my mind sane.' I explain to her while finishing the bag.

'I don't know, Theo. As a scientist, I can't say that makes much sense. But Hell, what does make sense in our world?'

'Well said, Ivy. Well said.' I murmur.

'Are you ready?' Rose jumps in my doorway scaring Ivy a little.

'Little lady, you shouldn't sneak up on people and scare them like that.'

'Sorry, Mrs. I. I'm just anxious for my burger.' Rose smiles at her.

'Burger for breakfast? You'll regret such decisions a few years from now.' Ivy tells her.

'That exactly what Theo said to me a few minutes ago.' Rose rolls her eyes and pouts.

'Come on, dimples. Let me feed you.' I smile at her and she wraps her tiny hand around my arm jumping with joy.

It will break her heart to know I am leaving. How to fuck do I explain it this time to her?