Chapter 8

Theo

'I think they have burgers here.' I tell her while opening the door to Red Angus steakhouse. 

'Good. I thought you will take me to McDonald's.' She sighs.

'Figured we tried something different.'

We order two house burgers and Rose starts telling me about her piano lessons with my dad. Her dark eyes shine with happiness when she speaks about it. She tells me about her life with Rafe, how he would always tell her that her mother was an angel. Apparently, her father and Rafe were cousins, at least that's what Rafe told her. She seems so happy, and now I have to ruin that.

 'There is something I need to tell you, Rose.' I tell her while she finishes her burger.

'Do you really have to? It sounds serious. I don't want to hear anything serious right now. Let's just enjoy this wonderful Sunday.'

'Ok. We can talk later about it.'

We continue the day at the mall. I buy her some sneakers and some new jeans. She insists I buy some shirts. She said I would look great in a black shirt, so I please her and buy one. She's 13 and the only small woman who can wrap me around her finger just by smiling at me. 

As we continue our walk in the mall, she sees a photo booth and insists we go in to take pictures. She pouts and jumps around me until I finally agree. Seeing her face light up with such joy is the best feeling I've ever had in this world. I really enjoy her company very much.

Finally, we pass by a jewelry shop and a lovely necklace captures my eye. It's a gold necklace with two wings placed on the opposite sides of a pearl. I don't know why, but it makes me think about Rose. She is pure as an angel and as delicate as a pearl. 

I turn around and look at her. She is sitting on a bench, eating some icecream while reading something on her tablet. She is quite tired by now but looks very happy.

I take advantage of the fact that she's so caught up with her reading and go inside the store. I ask the store lady to pack the necklace I saw in the window display in a beautiful red box. It's November, already, so it's never too early to buy her a Christmas present.

As I exit the store, I hide the box in the interior pocket of my jacket and go to Rose.

'Come one, dimples. It's time to call it a day. You look tired.' I smile at her while offering my arm for her to take.

'Am not.' She pouts.

'Don't be a big baby and accept your fate. We are going home.' I tell her while she finally takes my arm.

She falls asleep as soon as we get in the car. While driving home, I decide to leave without telling her. It will spare me of seeing her hurt. I need to leave. I need to do this. The thirst is under control but it's not completely gone. I felt it burn today while we were eating. 

As I park the car, I wake up Rose and we both enter the house with our bags. She goes to her bedroom while I go to my father's office. He's on the phone with his stock agent. I wait for him to finish his call while I take a bag of blood from his mini fridge.

'Glad to see you awake.' He tells me after ending his call.

'Yeah. Good to be awake, I guess.' I tell him while playing with my glass.

'So? What's bothering you?'

'The thirst. It's not entirely gone. It's still there. Not as intense as before, but still there. I need to go, father. Call your friends and get me enrolled in the army.'

'But Theo...'

'No but, dad. You know I can shoot very well. You know I know body combat. I have tried everything, just as you said. I need to also try this. I can't keep killing innocent people. If I'm gonna kill, at least let me kill monsters.'

'Fine, son. I'll make some calls. Have you told her?'

'No. I don't want to tell her. I just want you to place this under the Christmas tree for me.' I tell him while placing the red box on his desk.

'Theo, you should tell her. She cares for you.'

'I said no. Don't push me!' I tell him, feeling my anger rising up to the surface.

'Fine. What about your house?'

'Put it up for rent.' I tell him finishing my drink.

'When do you leave?' he asks me.

'As soon as she is asleep. I'll take the jet back to Malta and pack some stuff. I'll wait for your call when you get everything arranged.'

'Ok. At least tell your mother you are leaving.' 

'You are what?' I hear my mom in the doorway.

'These fuckin' walls have ears!' I mutter.

'Language, Theo. I am still your mother.' She puts her arms on my shoulders. 'So where are you leaving?'

'I'm joining the army.' I tell her blankly.

'Theo... When you joined the military a few years ago I agreed. I thought it would bring you discipline and help you better control yourself. But the army?' My mom says while kissing the top of my head. 

I stand up and give her a hug. 'I'm going mother. I don't have control over my body yet. I need to find a way. For everyone's sake.'

'Did you tell Rose?'

'No. And don't try to convince me otherwise. Dad already played that card.'

'She will be devastated.' My mother whispers.

'That's why I don't want to tell her. I don't need her face haunting me when I'll be on the battle field.'

'You care about her, don't you?'

'Yes. I care about her very much.' I tell my mom while lowering my eyes.

'How long will you stay away?' She asks me while I walk towards the door.

'As long as needed.' I tell her without turning around. 

A few minutes later my bags are in the car and I'm driving towards the airport. I have all these emotions swirling inside my mind. I have to shut them off. These emotions are what fuel my thirst and make me lose control. 

I have to find a way to silence my mind.