Chapter 3

Rose

The man I'm supposed to live with came to see me today. He seems to be the same age my uncle was. But again, that can be deceiving.

He looks quite scary. He's very big and looks like he could harm somebody easily. He doesn't seem to want me as I don't want him. But what other choice do I have? I hope he will be kind to me.

I wish my nightmares will go away too. I keep seeing the night uncle died. How I returned from my piano lessons and I found him dead on the floor.

I never knew my mom. She died giving birth to me and my father died in a car crash while he was coming back from the hospital the same night I was born. Talk about bad luck. Uncle Rafe was the only parent I've ever had. He raised me since day one. He was always so good to me, always making sure I'm happy. And now he is gone.

I sit on the bed in my temporary bedroom and start crying. I don't know when sleep takes over but I wake up the next morning sleeping on top of the bed covers. I just wish this will somehow turn into something good.

Theo

As I knock on the door of the foster family, I think about how I will tell her I will send her to a boarding school in England. Fuck, I'm a monster.

The petite woman, Sara, opens the door with Rose hiding behind her.

'Good afternoon, Mr. Black.'

'Good afternoon, madame. I am here to take Rose out.'

'She's already dressed. We were waiting for you. Go on, honey. Have fun.' She tells her while she gently takes Rose's hand and places it in mine.

Rose flinches at the feeling of my cold touch but doesn't say anything. Her dark eyes make it hard for me to read her emotions as her irises and pupils are basically the same colour.

'I hope you're hungry. I want to try out an American burger and then go for that icecream.' I tell her.

'Ok.' That's all she gives to me.

We go to a small dinner that James recommended yesterday to me for the great burgers and order two cheeseburgers with fries and Coca Cola.

The best part of being the son of an oceanid and a vampire is that I get to enjoy the delicious taste of normal food and it actually keeps my hunger away for a short period of time. Blood is still my favorite choice, it keeps my hunger at bay for hours and gives me a certain frenzy when I drink it directly from the vein... it's like getting high, only the feeling lasts for around 30 minutes after I finish drinking it.

I look at the little girl in front of me. She just sits there and eats slowly, with small bites.

'Don't you like the burger?' I ask her.

'The burger is good. I was just wondering what are you going to do with me.' She says on a very serious tone.

This girl keeps surprising me. She is too mature for her age.

'I...I can't raise you like Rafe did. I'm not good at that. I can't even take care of my nieces. I have a certain lifestyle and that doesn't suit a young lady like you.' I tell her.

'So what are you going to do with me, then?' She asks, her head down.

'Don't put it in those words. You are a person, not an object. I will make sure you receive the best education and go to the best college. When you become 22 you can go and live your life the way you want it. Your uncle left you a lot of money that you will be able to use only if you finish college.' I tell her.