Chapter 40

The wonderful lullaby from Cinderella.
__________________

Theo

My room has always been next to Bella's but when Rose came into our family, mom decided to give it to her.

I spent the entire night listening to her sobs and sighs. Eventually, she stopped and started singing a lovely lullaby instead. I just lay on my bed and listen to her wonderful voice fill my ears. I don't think she realizes I can hear her. I fall asleep listening to her mesmerizing tune filling my mind and calming it down, as she always used to.

I wake up to baby cries and rush immediately to Rose's bedroom to see what happened. I find Eva crying in her white crib while Rose is not in the room.

My heart breaks when I hear her cries fill the air so I reach out and pick her for the first time.

'Hey there, ladybug. Hey...' I whisper softly to her while she reaches out and grabs my finger. I feel tears crowding in the back of my eyes while my heart makes a silent vow to protect her with my life. She has my entire world in her small little hand. I can't breathe as all the feelings flood my soul and chase away any trace of darkness. My mind is finally free from any trace of thirst. Holding my daughter for a mere minute has transformed my entire world and soul forever.

'Daddy's going to be your protector and your guardian, sweet ladybug. This, I swear to you. Daddy's going to love you forever.' I tell her while sitting down on the chair next to her crib. I craddle her in my arms and she stops crying completely, her eyes staring at me with such innocence and purity. She has me under her spell, just like her mom.

'I love you, ladybug. I didn't believe I could love somebody within minutes before you came into this world.'

Rose

As I walk towards the bedroom with Eva's formula in my hand, I hear her chuckles and giggles. The door to the bedroom is wide open so I walk right in.

'You may have my eyes, but you have your mommy's gift to hypnotize me.' I hear his soft voice whispering to her as he places a kiss on the top of her head.

He didn't notice me walking in. He is so fascinated by her that he doesn't see anything else. His eyes are filled with the purest form of adoration as he looks at her and she seems to have forgotten it's feeding time, as she is all giggles. She knows who he is. She feels his love. I feel his love. It is so disarming. It breaks through all the walls of pain I have built all these months.

'Do you want to feed her the bottle?' I decide to make him aware of my presence.

'Would you show me how to do it?' He says while looking at me like a lost puppy. His eyes make my heart skip a few beats and my mouth run dry. I run my tongue over my lips and see his eyes focus on them immediately.

'Here! Just hold her head like that and make sure you don't lift the bottle to high so she doesn't choke on the milk.'  I tell him as I touch his hand to guide it. I feel a bolt of energy lighting up my entire body when his fingers connect with mine. His once cold skin feels so warm and soft now. And he smells so delicious... like cinnamon and sugar.

I find myself enchanted by the moment and for a minute I forget what happened during these last months. My mind is focused around the image of him holding our daughter, feeding her, loving her. He looks so happy and I don't want to take this moment away from him. Yeah, I still want to snap his neck, but he is her father and he needs to have this perfect memory, to cherish it forever.

Eva falls asleep before she could even finish her bottle and I take her from his arms and pat her back gently. I place her into her crib and turn around to see now a standing Theo.

He looks extremely nervous as he takes my hand and places a soft kiss on my knuckles.

'Thank you.' He whispers against my skin.

'For what?' I ask him as a reflex.

'For giving me a daughter... for letting me have this moment.' He says while looking deep into my eyes.

I don't say anything. His eyes are so sincere and hide so much longing in them. I just can't... he lets my hand go and walks to the door but turns around before he leaves.

'I don't deserve all of this. I don't deserve you or our daughter, but I will fight for you both. I will make you love me again and I will make you the happiest woman in this world.' He says and leaves my room.

I am left sitting in the middle of my bedroom, shaking while tears run down my face again.

Can I forgive him? I know he didn't want to leave me but can I forget all the pain? All the unslept nights crying for his hold? I've had my share of this mess also. I didn't want to listen to him when he tried to warn me about becoming a vampire. I made him turn me. I used my powers over him and bent his will.

I am so confused now. My soul is torn by all these feelings and all I can think about is how his skin felt when I touched his hand.

______________

So, who do you think is to blame for all this mess? Theo? Rose?

Would love to know your opinion. ❤