Chapter 4

Rose

Today is the day we leave for Malta and in another 2 weeks I will be sent to boarding school.

Theo seems like a decent man. I guess he really wants what's best for me, given the fact that we are not related by blood.

I am so confused. Why did this happen to me? I'm just a kid. I can't handle all these things. I should be playing video games and reading books or something.

Why?

Theo

As we travel to the airport I notice she is in a really bad shape. She's not talking, her eyes are puffed probably because she's been crying a lot and she has dark circles. She may appear strong but I can see her suffering. A feeling of guilt travels through me but again, this is the best decision. It has to be.

As we wait for our gate to open, my phone rings. It's my mom. I answer the phone and turn quickly towards Rose to excuse myself.

'Rose, I'm gonna go talk a little with my sister. Do you think you can stay here? I'll be close by.'

'Sure, Theo. I won't go anywhere.'

My mom hears everything.

'Oh my God. So it is true. You actually took her custody.'

'I am her legal guardian, yeah.' I tell her exhausted.

'Wow! That's... I don't even know what to say.' My mom tells me.

'Tell me how I can help the kid. She's been crying, lost weight, not talking and I'm sending her to boarding school in two weeks.'

'Why are you doing that?'

'Would you like to raise her?' I ask her furious.

'I would certainly do a better job at it.'

'Do you want to raise her?'

'I don't know, Theo. I will talk with your father and we can find a solution to raise the girl properly.'

'Thank you, mother. I don't want to destroy this kid's life. I really don't.'

'You'll have to grow up at some point, Theo.'

'Yeah, yeah. Everybody keeps saying that. But I don't think a 12 year old will help me grow up.'

'You never know. I'll talk to your father and see what he thinks about this entire situation. Call me when you get home. I love you!'

'Love you too, mom.'

As I hang up the phone I turn around to see Rose reading on her tablet. She is totally distracted and doesn't notice me sitting down next to her.

'What are you reading, dimples?'

She lifts her eyes and looks at me confused.

'Dimples?' She frowns a little.

'Yeah, you. Dimples. When you smile you have dimples.'

'Oh.. OK, Beast.' She smiles at me.

'Beast?' I burst into laughter. She soon joins me. 'You caught me good, kid. That is the most appropriate nickname anybody has given to me.' I tell her honestly.

'I know. I'm smart like that.' She winks at me. 'I'm reading Twilight.'

'That book with vampires?' I raise my eyebrow at her.

'Hey, if you could be 50 and look 25, I'm open to believe vampires are real.'

'Rose, you can't go telling people about this.'