**Vincent & Child!Reader**

*This chapter deals with sensitive topics as suicide, cutting, and depression. I do not mean to misinterpret depression, if I have in this chapter. I just personally haven't dealt with it. If you or anyone you know is struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts, please call 1-800-273-8255. Suicide has never been and will never be the answer.*

*On 5/2/2020 I changed the title of this chapter because something about the title containing "suicidal child" did not sit right with me. Also, I removed the "x" because again, the "x" in fanfictions usually implies shipping. I felt off about that as well.*

(Requested by: @PepperGameplayThekit)

Life's been tough. It's been hard to get out of bed in the morning. All you've been feeling is this intense sadness, and it's been heavy on your shoulders ever since your sister went missing. No one knew what happened, but ever since she went missing, your life began to break. Your parents divorced, your mother became an alcoholic and a drug abuser, and you were diagnosed with depression.
"Depression?" Your mother would say. "That doesn't exist! She's just moody; it's a phase." If only she knew what that 'phase' has led you to.

One day, after school, you'd fallen into a spiral of sadness. Suddenly, life hit you in the face, as it hit you hard. You rushed out of the gym and into the locker room. Your shaky hands sloppily put in your combination and you pulled out a small bag that your sister used for her makeup. Soft, tennis-shoed footsteps walked into a bathroom stall and slender fingers pulled out a shiny, metal razor blade. Your father didn't shave much, and he left a bunch of razors when he left. You sighed, tucking a (h/c) hair behind your ear. The cold metal touched your (s/c) skin and you sucked in a sharp breath as you traced over your untouched skin, breaking the surface and watching the blood bubble up to the cut.
"One..." You sighed, shakily. "Of possibly many..."

"(Y/N)! Come on, we're going out to meet some kids from the neighborhood. Parents need to see I'm a good mother and you're not a pathetic, antisocial child!" You were laying in your bed, staring at the ceiling. Reluctantly, you got up and put on black jeans, a navy sweater, and you pulled on your red converse, pulling your hair in a messy bun on the top of your head. You trudged downstairs, walking to your mother's car.
"Where are we going?" You mundanely asked, watching your mother pull out of the driveway.
"Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria. Nancy, the president of the homeowners' association set up a small meet-and-greet. It's a bunch of bull s-h-i-t if you ask me." Your mother tried pulling the spelling trick on you. You were 10, not 1. You knew what curse words were.

The bright and cheery atmosphere of Freddy Fazbear's didn't lighten your mood in the slightest. All of the songs you listened to just bored you even more, and you tuned out every child that tried to talk to you was tuned out. Your mother was the only person you listened to.
"Listen here (Y/N). You need to talk to people before people start thinking I raised a psychopath."
"Mom, can't you tell that something's wrong with me?!" You whisper-yelled. "I'm obviously sad, but you refuse to acknowledge that!"
"Oh, are we using your 'depression' as an excuse again? (Y/N), just stop being sad, you little bitch. Put a smile on your face and talk to some kids."
"It's hard to put a smile on my face when I think about offing myself every day, Mom!" But your mom wasn't listening. She went back to chatting with her new friends. You were over this. You stood up and started to wander away, trying to find somewhere to sit in silence.
"Hey, why are you breaking off from the crowd?" You turned around and were face to face with a purple man, in a purple outfit, completed with purple hair, white eyes, and a golden name tag with the name "Vincent" on it.
"I just want to be alone." Vincent put on a sinister smile and extended his hand.
"I know a place where it's nice and quiet."

The two of you made it into a back room, a small light illuminating above you. Vincent went over and locked the door, turning around, brandishing a knife. His deep chuckle rang through your ears.
"Didn't your mommy ever tell you to never talk to strangers?~" You held your arms out in defeat.
"Do it. Kill me." Vincent cocked his head to the side in confusion.
"Uh...are you okay? People don't usually want me to kill them."
"I have nothing to life for anyways. My parents split, my sister's gone, and I'm depressed. Maybe you'll actually successfully kill me this time."
"You're not telling me you've- but you're so young. What are you, like 10?" You nodded. Vincent dropped his knife and walked over to you, sighing and pulling you into a hug. "I have a friend who's depressed. But it sucks that you don't have anyone to support you like he has."
"Mom thinks my depression is fake. She refuses to think otherwise." Vincent slightly stroked your hair, acting like a parent more than your mother ever has.
"Look, I know you barely know me, but I'll be here for you..."
"(Y/N)."
"...(Y/N). From what I've learned, depression sucks, and going through it alone sucks even more," You hummed in agreement, hugging Vincent tighter. "You also need to stop trying to...for lack of a better term, kill yourself. You're young, you have a life to live. And someday, I'm sure you're going to have a family who's going to need you. And even if you aren't thinking about it, or if you've done it, self harm doesn't help your situation. It may feel good, but it just hurts you even more." You were sobbing into Vincent's shirt, wiping your tears with your sleeve as you broke from the hug. "Long speech short, (Y/N), you're fucking beautiful. You have an entire life to live, and asses like your mother need to be purged from your life. You are amazing, and keep being amazing." For once in a while, a smile broke out on to your face. "Look at you, you've made a softie out of a murderer." Vincent was infectiously smiling as well.

In the end, your mother lost custody of you, and since your father didn't bother to fight for you, Vincent adopted you and became your legal guardian. Also, your sister was found. She was two states over, found in a ditch, alive and abandoned by whoever abducted her. While you were with Vincent, you actually went to therapy and you weren't as deeply depressed all the time. It was the happiest you've been in a long time.

(By the way, if anyone needs to talk about anything, my DMs are open and ready to talk.)