Chapter 79

Chapter 79

"I hate parties."

"Come on, lighten up Heather," Molly smiled, handing her friend a bottle of beer. "It's a celebration of the end of third year. We're half way through!"

"Half way through university. You're not including the other stuff to become a practicing doctor." Heather made a face.

"Also, Finn's leaving so that must be a reason for celebration. If it's not I don't know what is."

"I hear my name and celebration, what are you talking about? How handsome I am? My many qualities?" Finn had moved over to where they stood by the food table, cup in hand.

"The fact that you're leaving."

"You know I'm considering taking a PhD."

"Liar," Molly rolled her eyes. "Don't try making things up just to annoy me. It won't work. Genius, you know."

"Someone's got a high opinion of herself."

"You're one to talk."

"Guys, I'm really not in the mood for you groaning," Heather groaned, shaking her head. "I'm not enjoying myself as it is. So stop bickering. Anyway, Finn, you're girlfriend is waving you over."

"Better go then," Finn laughed with a wink at Molly. "Return to the other woman in charge of my life."

Molly snorted. "Have fun, idiot."

"Will do." Finn chuckled as he walked away.

"He's so annoying," Heather commented as she sipped her beer.

"Tell me about it," Molly sighed. "So... why isn't Emily here?"

"Well, you know what she's like about places with loads of people. She just wouldn't enjoy it so I don't think it would be fair to force her. She'd just get panicked." Heather sighed softly. "I'll miss Emily. Her course is finished as well."

"Pretty much everyone's is," Molly frowned. "Apart from us poor medical students."

"Yeah, why did we choose the long course?"

"Because it was what we wanted to go into, obviously. To help people and stuff. I'm following in my dad's footsteps a bit although he only became an MD, I plan on going into surgery."

"Well you have fun with the extra eight years added on."

"I will," Molly smiled, Heather shaking her head at her. "So what do you say we mingle? We could set you up with someone."

"No thanks, I'm fine," Heather shook her head vigorously. "You're the one who always complains about being single. Why don't you go find yourself a man, or a woman as the case may be."

"You know... I think I'm okay. Tonight doesn't feel like the right night to meet someone. Maybe if I get drunk I'll change my mind." She shrugged. "It's weird, but I'm okay without someone at the moment. I mean it's not like I need them it's just nice. I'm yet to find the right one though. My brothers are lucky, they found theirs early. I mean Martin met Max when he was twelve. Especially lucky considering they don't exactly find it easy to make friends. And I've not found that person yet... The special person..." She trailed off, tilting her head. "Well I didn't mean to go on like that. Maybe the alcohol is beginning to get to my head. I'm such a lightweight. Like my dads. And Hamish."

"Yes, definitely the alcohol getting to your head," Heather rolled her eyes. "Come on, then, Molly... let's socialise." Sighing, she took Molly's arm and led her into the crowd. They moved around quite a bit, conversing with various people. Some they knew through various things; student groups, through Finn and Emily or because they were part of their course. Some they didn't knew. Molly didn't really know how many people she met. It was a shame, really, because almost all of them were leaving. She wouldn't exactly get the chance to get to know any of them.

Although Heather limited what she drank Molly did gradually get closer to being drunk, swaying a bit on her feet and saying the most idiotic things. Finn was quite amused by this when he came over with his girlfriend. Molly was quite offended by the fact that he was laughing at her. It wasn't very nice of him at all. Finn was a very mean young man. She didn't even know why they were friends. She told him this. He only laughed more.

"Why the hell is Hamish calling me?" Molly stared at her phone, gaining a dunno in reply from Heather. With a shrug Molly answered with quite a cheery hello.

"You're drunk, aren't you Molly? Maybe I should call back. You won't help much..."

"I will be able to help just fine, Hamish. I'm not that drunk."

"Well you're certainly talking fine."

"Course I'm not a lightweight like you... you lightweight!"

"Why are you calling me at this time anyway. It's like..." She held the phone away from her ear. "What's the time?" she whispered to Heather. Heather shrugged. "Past midnight or something."

"It's only half past eleven, Molly."

"Oh," Molly giggled. "I thought it was later. Time is weird when at a party."

"I wouldn't know." Molly could practically hear Hamish rolling his eyes. "Anyway I was calling... about something important."

"You need my help, don't you?"

"Not exactly... It's just..."

"Hamish needs my help, Hamish needs my help," Molly practically sang, grinning.

"Okay, shut up, I do. It's this case. Two dead bodies found in two locations. Both locations are piers, but nothing else connects the two murder victims. Well nothing that I can find. I may be missing something obvious."

"Murder weapon?"

"Shot, at a distance."

"Well, pier... Probably by someone on a boat. Or something in connection to a boat. Have you checked if they had any navy ties? Or maybe even ties with pirates? You should look into that cause navy go on boats and boats go on water and water means piers and that makes sense same with pirates."

"That's it! Wow, Molly, you actually helped in your inebriated state. Thank you."

"You're welcome. I am the best."

"Hmph."

"Say it, Hamish, I'm the best." Now she could definitely imagine the scowl across Hamish's cheekbones. How horrible.

Hamish sighed. "You are the best, Molly." With that he hung up.

"Oh yeah, I just solved a crime! That deserves another drink."

"Really, Molly?" Heather frowned.

"Yes."

"Fine, but you'll regret it tomorrow."

"I know but I don't care."