Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Hamish refused to stay still. He was constantly running about the living room, pretending to stab whoever he came across with his sword. The seven year old looked surprisingly adorable in his pirate captain outfit. It was what he had gone as the last Halloween but John had had to buy him a new costume due to the fact he had grown so much in the last year. Both he and Martin were growing at a rapid rate. They had been slightly shorter than average in their earlier years but it seemed they would end up at Sherlock’s height. John wasn’t looking forward to being shorter than his sons.

Martin was sitting patiently on the sofa, nervously tugging at his black curls. He look no less a pirate than Hamish, though his outfit was completely different. He also had a plastic sword in his belt but had not drawn it. He was nervous whereas his twin was incredibly excited. But then again Hamish had always been the confident one. That was why he was the Captain, after all, and wore the captain hat.

Molly was sitting in the kitchen getting her hair done by Mrs Hudson. She had decided she wanted it French braided and John had been forced to call up Mrs Hudson after both he and Sherlock failed horribly at doing Molly’s hair to the standard she wanted it. She had also refused to go as your generic princess, though John thought she looked so cute in a little princess dress. Instead she was going dressed as a doctor saying she was going to be like her Papa when she was older. Maybe do a bit of what her Daddy did as well. John had to admit that she suited the little white lab coat they had got her.

“Mish, please don’t stab everyone at the party with your sword,” Martin voiced his opinion’s quietly, deep blue eyes fixed on his twin.

“That’s Captain Hamish!” Hamish retorted indignantly. “And I will consider your request, First Mate Martin.” Martin sighed softly, though there was a light smile dancing on his lips.

“Thank you, Captain.”

Sherlock sidled over to John, amusement dancing in his many coloured eyes.

“When I first gave Hamish Treasure Island to read I didn’t mean to get them obsessed with pirates,” he whispered wryly.

“Well you wanted to be a pirate when you were younger, so what did you expect?” John chuckled quietly at Sherlock’s almost offended look. “Don’t deny it.”

“I’m ready!” Molly ran through before Sherlock had a chance to reply.

“Let’s go!” Hamish grinned excitedly, bouncing over to Martin and grabbing his hand so he could pull him up.

“Off you go and take them then, Sher,” John grinned teasingly as Sherlock shot him a withering look, reluctantly heading with the children towards the door. “Have a good time!”

A deep scowl still marred Sherlock’s lips as he rang the doorbell for the reasonably large house where the Halloween party took place. It was Karina’s mother, Irene, who opened the door.

“Irene,” Sherlock nodded to her with what seemed to be respect as he pushed his three children in front of him and into the house.