Chapter 10

Chapter 10

“Well, if it isn’t the little freaks.” Donovan stood next to the yellow crime scene tape, monitoring those who entered. At her rather hateful comment Martin automatically hid behind John, tugging at his green scarf and holding onto his Papa’s hand tightly. Hamish fixed the policewoman with a cold glare. So similar to Sherlock’s, though not quite as piercing. He really was a miniature Sherlock. John found it adorable and annoying at the same time. Because both Sherlock and Hamish were rather irritating at points.

“If you would please just let us through, Donovan, and refrain from making comment such as that towards my children,” John spoke smoothly and received a slight glare from Donovan. But the three were let in and all headed into the building in which the murder had taken place. Martin continued to clutch John’s hand and played with his scarf nervously. He didn’t want to be here. He wanted to be at home playing his violin or painting or reading. And he needed to talk to his fathers...

Hamish let out a slight cry of delight as they entered the scene of the crime. The body lay in the centre of the room, limbs sprawled out. There wasn’t any sign of blood. Hamish would have made a beeline for said corpse if John hadn’t been restraining him slightly.

“What are Hamish and Martin doing here?” Sherlock glanced up from his inspection with narrowed eyes.

“You can’t bring children to a crime scene, John!” Lestrade exclaimed at the same time.

“Hamish wanted to come,” John replied lamely to Sherlock. “And I’m sorry, but Hamish can be quite persuasive. He’s an awful lot like Sherlock.” Hamish seemed to puff up at what he perceived as a compliment, a smug grin on his face. Lestrade sighed and shook his head, deciding not to persuade John to take the twins back. It obviously wouldn’t work out in his favour.

“Well if they’re going to stay they might as well help,” Sherlock announced in an almost bored toned. John rolled his eyes and ushered the children over to their dad. Hamish didn’t need any encouragement and scurried over, instantly babbling questions. Why had it been done? Who had done it? Did they know that the policewoman from earlier, Donovan, was sleeping with one of the guys from forensics? Had they found the bullet that killed them man? Also, had they contacted and questioned his wife?

Martin just watched timidly, a slightly confused look on his face. Rather similar to the bemused on John wore. Sherlock quickly answered the questions before proceeding to show his pride and joy how he was inspecting the corpse and share all of his theories. Of course, he announced them to everyone else as well claiming he knew exactly who the murderer was. If there was one thing Sherlock would always be it was a show off.

“Well Hamish, Martin, who do you think did it?” Sherlock turned his many coloured gaze on his children.

“I don’t know...” Martin murmured, his words luckily being drowned out by Hamish launching into a rather long winded speech. Seemed he was also a show off like his dad.

“Well it was obviously a gun wound, but that bullet has been removed,” Hamish began, tilting his head. “It wasn’t the police because Uncle Greg looked shocked when I asked if they had found the bullet. Like he didn’t know it was a bullet. It was made to look like it was a knife wound so it would point to... em...”