Chapter 69

Chapter 69

"Hamish, can you go buy some milk?!"

"I'm busy, Papa!" Hamish shouted back, frowning down at the papers in front of him. He was so close... So very close. It had been almost nine months since Hamish had began work as the new Consulting Detective, taking over from his dad. John and Sherlock now led a bit more of a relaxed life, filled with arguments, explosions in the kitchen and far too much kissing for Hamish's liking. Hamish was doing quite well in his new job, Sherlock and Uncle Greg pulling the strings needed to set him off in his career. Hamish was as good as his dad, though lacking as much experience. But that would come. And anyway, he had plenty of help.

"So busy that you don't have time to get milk?"

"Yes!"

"You're just like your father," John huffed as he bustled through from the kitchen and into the living room. "Well it seems that I have to go out myself and get the milk. If your dad comes home don't let him worry."

"I will," Hamish replied with a light smile, looking back at the evidence he had collected. He would solve it. Wouldn't take too long. He would work it out by lunch time which would give him the rest of the weekend off. Hopefully. He was now alone in the house, with John out to get milk and Sherlock and Molly out visiting Aunt Molly and Benny.

Wait, that was it! That was what he had missed! Hamish had his mobile out of his pocket in moments. "Williams, I've found the killer."

After having to explain everything to the stupid Detective Inspector Hamish was finally able to count the case as solved. He was about to sit down to read when his phone buzzed. Brilliant. If that was DI Williams because he was too idiotic to solve the simplest crimes then Hamish wouldn't be happy. He loved it, the thrill of the chase and the way his brain worked everything out. But even he needed breaks now and then.

In London for weekend. Meet at normal cafe. -OA

Hamish frowned. What? Why was Ollie texting him? They had had little to no contact since Hamish had finished University and returned to London while Ollie started doing his PhD. And they hadn't properly talked since... what happened over a year ago. Hamish regretted everything, even though he hadn't realised what was happening at the time. He was a bit high and drunk at the same time.

Well, he would go meet Ollie. See would what happen. He hoped that maybe they could be friends again. That would be nice. Because... Because he missed Ollie. He really did.

It took Hamish only a few moments to get ready, scrawling a quick note for John and grabbing his coat and scarf. The air was warm, but not too hot, a nice enough spring day. Hamish's hands were stuffed in his pockets as he headed down the street. He didn't take his normal form of travel, a cab, because it was close enough to walk and walking was... relaxing in a way. To him at least.

Hamish bit his lip as he entered the cafe, the one they had met at many times when they went to school in London or when they returned to London for summers while at university. It didn't take him long to find Ollie, who was sitting at a table in the corner sipping some coffee. Hamish sat down opposite him with a small smile. Ollie looked up with a grin.

"Hey, Mish."

"Hi, Ollie."

"You want anything?" Ollie tilted his head as he took another sip of his coffee.

"No, I'm fine... I'm not hungry and I'm not thirsty."

"Should have known," Ollie replied. After that they lapsed into a silence, Ollie drinking his coffee while Hamish refused to meet his dark brown eyes. This was going so brilliantly. Not.

"Why did you organise to meet after so long?" Hamish suddenly blurted out, before blushing. Gosh this was weird. For once he was embarrassed to talk. That certainly wasn't normal for him. If Martin found out... Well Hamish would never hear the end of it.

"Because..." Ollie sighed, trying to form the words he wanted to say. "I forgive you. I know that it wasn't fully your fault. I just needed some time to think about it, some time alone and away from you the work out what I wanted to do. And I know now. I'm sorry, Hamish, I shouldn't have ignored you for so long. Because I've missed you. And I want to give our relationship another try. Now that... You know who has gone I think it will be fine. Because, Hamish... I've realised that I love you." Ollie's voice had dropped to a quite level so no one else could hear.

"Ollie... I..."

Ollie silenced him with a look, a small smile on his lips. "You don't have to say it, Hamish."

"I missed you too," Hamish murmured. "And I'm sorry. So sorry. I shouldn't have, I should have known. It was my own fault, anyway, I did... you know drink and take drugs."

"Don't worry about it. I forgive you, okay. Are you willing to give our relationship another try then?"

"If you'll have me back."

"Of course. I couldn't imagine a life without you in it, Hamish."