Chapter 73

Author's Note

First off... Wow O.o this has over 100000 reads! Like geez, when I first started writing this I hope a few people might enjoy it. The amount of people that read it, just wow, you guys are all so amazing and I'm so glad that you are continuing to enjoy this and put up with the bad chapters that occur and current infrequent updates. Love you all, really! Especially those who comment, just makes my day :) So yeah, thanks for all of that. Anyway, this chapter begins a sort of plot that will continue into the sequel... Surprisingly pleased with it. Next chapter is going to be awesome as well I hope! One clue: it involves a certain ship you all seem to ship. I'll let you guess exactly what it is...

So, enjoy this chapter!

Chapter 73

"Hamish, you'll want to come and see this."

"A case? Great, I'll be there right away. Text me the details." Hamish quickly hung up on DI Williams, jumping up off his chair (he had refurbished most of 221b, though it didn't look that different from his dads' time) and grabbing his coat as he headed out the door. It was pulled on as he walked, along with his dark navy blue scarf. He checked the message Williams had sent him before getting into a cab, giving directions and making sure that the driver knew there was a sense of urgency to this. There had been a murder!

"You got here quick," Williams commented as Hamish arrived at the building where the murder had taken place. The house seemed to be abandoned, windows boarded up with wood. So the victim had been lured here. Motivation behind the crime, then, not just a random killing. Revenge? Definitely a strong competitor for what it could be.

"What did you expect? Am I not always prompt," Hamish rolled his eyes at the older man, who just shook his head slightly. Williams was one of the youngest Detective Inspector, most talented out of the bunch and had taken the job that had been Lestrade's when he retired. "So what are we looking at?"

"Woman of a middle age dead by something that does not wound, most likely poison. Most of the facts we've managed to gather point towards suicide but we're not sure."

"That's why I'm here," Hamish spoke with a slight drawl, following Williams into the house. "Because, as per normal, the police need help."

"Something like that."

 A silence fell over them as the properly entered the house, broken now and then by floorboards creaking. The walls that made up the house were covered in mould, a damp smell coming off them and wafting up the nostrils. A dark staircase spiralled to their right and was only lit by what light managed to get through the window coverings. Williams navigated the dimly lit corridors, handing Hamish a torch so he could see better as they entered the main living room. The body was lying in the middle room. Frowning, Hamish bent down, looking closely at the body. Woman in her early seventies. Brown hair, blue eyes, plain in appearance. Clothes not quite casual, not quite smart. She was coming home from work. Lines on the face indicate that the job can be stressful, but not enough for it not to be enjoyable. Hairs covering her legs were that of a cat; too thin to be a dog's. One cat. Slight grease stains on the fingers, she was eating a fish and chip take away on her way home. No children, but obviously loved them. So a school or nursery teacher. Clothes indicated nursery. Ring, dirty on the outside but polished on the inside. Not hers, shown by lack of any marks on ring finger upon removal of the ring. Planted there by the murderer then...

"The murdered woman is Miss Helen North. I am sure you will be able to find out her details and make the right enquiries to see if she is indeed missing. Which she is, of course, considering she is dead at my feet," Hamish frowned, moving away from the body to investigate the surroundings. If his suspicions were right then there would be more clues somewhere...