Chapter 58

Chapter 58

"I don't see why I can't take a case today," Hamish moaned from where he was lying at an awkward angle in papa's chair. "Just cause it's New Year's Eve..."

"Because Uncle Greg is taking the day off," Martin replied, rolling his eyes at the twin. "Papa wouldn't be happy anyway."

"But papa is out with dad so I doubt he'll notice," Hamish mused, a thoughtful light in his eyes. "What they don't know won't hurt them."

"Try all you like, Mish, but papa always knows." Martin proceeded to ignore the grumbling Hamish, returning to watching the television. He was curled up on the sofa with Max, head rested against his boyfriend's shoulder. The brown haired boy had been watching the twins' exchange with amusement, before his gaze flickered back to the ballet he was watching on the television with Martin. Hamish pouted as he watched his brother and Max. Why were they watching the television? They should be paying attention to him!

There was nobody else in the house. Molly had gone round to Heather's house for the afternoon and Sherlock and John were out for a romantic lunch. Martin and Max had planned to go to the park to do arty stuff but the abysmal weather had put off those plans. So instead they were sitting here watching a ballet movie. With Hamish complaining of boredom. The pout and puppy dog eyes told Martin that Hamish was just upset that Martin wasn't paying him any attention. Maybe he was even a bit jealous of the new turn Max and Martin's relationship had taken. After all for ages it had just been Hamish and Martin, the terrible twins. But Martin was getting incredibly close to Max, more so than he had been to Karina. And sure Hamish was getting closer to Ollie but... Ollie was in Spain for Christmas and New Year's! So Hamish had no one else apart from Martin (his dad wouldn't really approve of him seeing Mortimer so he hadn't told them about his reappearance).

Eventually Martin couldn't take Hamish's sad looks any longer. He uncurled his legs, removing his head from where it had been resting on Max's shoulder (which had been quite a stretch considering Martin was the taller one, but still comfortable). He shuffled over, forcing Max to move so he was next to the armrest. Martin then patted the space next to him. Hamish perked up, an awful lot like a puppy getting attention. He skipped over and sat down next to Martin. The three of them spent the rest of the afternoon watching various movies. Martin ended up with two people lying against him. Thankfully Max and Hamish seemed to content to share a headrest.

John shook his head at the three of them whereas Sherlock just arched an eyebrow.

"You three should go get ready," John commented, a light smile framing his lips at Hamish's groan. "People will be arriving in an hour."

"I don't see why I have to dress up more," Hamish complained. "It's just Aunt Molly, Benny, Uncle Mycroft, Uncle Greg, Arianna, Myc and Mrs Hudson."

"I agree with Hamish," Sherlock put in. John snorted.

"Of course you do." He glanced over his husband and oldest son. Both of them were dressed in a similar, smart fashion as per normal. "Neither of you need to get changed. Just maybe... Neaten your hair a bit, Mish." Also known as taming it, considering the curls were more unruly than ever. It was worse than Martin's at the moment.

"Come on, Mish," Martin rolled his eyes, standing and dragging Hamish to his feet. Max followed suit, standing.

An hour later Martin and Max were changed into less casual clothes and Hamish's hair was much neater. Molly had arrived home with Finn (who was coming round because his family were all out for New Year's Eve), getting changed into a reasonably nice dress. Everyone else arrived. New Year's wasn't always celebrated in this way, with family coming around. But this year was one of those terrible years (in Hamish's opinion) when that did happen. Finn, Molly, Myc and Benny all ended up playing a game of Cluedo together in a corner. Hamish played chess against Arianna while Martin and Max just talked quietly. They didn't dare talk to Hamish or Arianna, who both had looks of intense concentration on their faces. The adults all sat around talking and drinking. When the four younger ones finished their game of Cluedo they decided, for some reason, to play hide and seek. Even though they were all thirteen (with Finn being fourteen). The most entertaining thing was Myc, Benny and Finn spending absolutely ages searching for Molly who had hidden pretty well.

Sherlock, Martin and Max were all forced to play violin about half an hour before midnight. By this time John was beginning to get a bit tipsy, as was normal for New Year's Eve. He took it as a chance to drink as much as he wanted because normally they stayed in the house and the kids didn't really need watching. Well, apart from maybe Hamish. Even at seventeen he was still a troublemaker.

The television was turned on the watch the countdown, the majority of the people there joining in. A cheer went up as the New Year began. Sherlock rolled his eyes, muttering about how stupid it all was.

"It's not stupid," John reprimanded him, hands on his hips. Sherlock snorted. John laughed lightly, moving closer to his husband. "New Year's kiss?" That made Sherlock smile, leaning down to place a kiss on John's lips. One which turned into them pretty much making out. It wasn't like they were the only ones. Mycroft and Greg had found themselves a nice corner.

Martin had pulled his twin into a tight hug first, though Hamish scowled as if he hated every moment of it. Martin knew he was faking it. Hamish loved hugging his brother. It made them both feel safe, truthfully.

"Happy New Year's Eve, Marti," Max smiled at Martin after he pulled away from his twin brother.

"Happy New Year's Eve, Max," Martin spoke softly. Max moved in, pressing a light kiss to Martin's lips. It wasn't much, but it was sweet. The two of them were purposefully taking it slow.

"So... Since its New Year's," Finn had a strange grin on his lips, causing Molly to roll her eyes. "You know its traditional to kiss."

"I know," Molly smirked, standing up on her tiptoes to peck Finn on the lips. Their lips had only just touched when a rather shocked and irritated screech reached Molly's ears. She winced, stepping away from Finn as Sherlock practically flew over.

"No. Physical. Contact." Sherlock's limbs were flailing out, finger pointing at Finn angrily. "Graham, arrest this man!"

Lestrade just chuckled from where he stood beside Mycroft, arm wrapped around the other man's waist. "Not a chance, Sherlock. Calm down."

"I will not! He has broken his promise and attacked my daughter!"

Molly would have said something but she was too busy doubling over with laughter. Daddy had obviously been drinking. Otherwise he wouldn't act like this. He would just glare Finn into submission before throwing him out. Or act all cold. Papa must have been feeding daddy alcohol.

"I didn't make any promises, Mr Holmes," Finn put in with an innocent smile, flashing a wink at Molly. This only sent her into another wave of laughter. Even Hamish seemed entertained by his dad's antics. Martin was practically collapsed on Max due to laughing so much (had he been sneakily drinking or something?).

"I told Molly no holding hands until she was fourteen."

"Didn't mention anything about kissing," Molly smiled sweetly. Sherlock's many coloured eyes widened. John moved in, deciding it would be best to save his partner from this situation.

"She's got you there," John commented softly, words slightly slurred, putting a comforting arm around Sherlock's waist and resting a hand on his hip. "Let it go."

"Fine," Sherlock scowled. He bent down and kissed his daughter on the forehead. "Happy New Year, Molly."

"Happy New Year, daddy," Molly grinned teasingly at him. Sherlock just glared at Finn before moving over to his sons.

Everyone stayed until about an hour after midnight before all leaving as a massive group. When everyone had left and only the Watson-Holmes and Max remained. It didn't take long for everyone to retreat to bed.

Sherlock was still pretty upset, of course. Like the drama queen he was. Thankfully John knew how to cheer him up.