Valentine's Day - Martin x Max (Aka Maxin)

Set between chapter 58 and chapter 59

"Please eat."

Martin arched an eyebrow at Max's request, pointedly looking at the barely touched toast on his plate. 

"I'm saving myself for lunch," Max replied feebly to the look, carefully taking a pill before a small bite.

"Me too," Martin shrugged, pushing his cereal around his bowl. He wasn't hungry. At all. Maybe it was the nerves. Yes, it was probably the nerves. Today was valentine's day. In fact the day had snuck up all too soon for Martin's liking. He had plans to go to lunch with Max. He didn't know why he was so nervous. They had been in a relationship for almost a year now. He had nothing to worry about. Yet he still did. What if he messed up? He didn't want to lose Max.

He knew these fears were irrational. If his dad could get married so could anyone. Martin was more romantic than him, if only a bit.

"Lies," Max snorted, taking another tiny bite. "You won't eat at all at lunch. I know you, Martin Watson-Holmes."

"Blame my dad," Martin mumbled, pushing away his bowl. Most people had already left the dining hall. Valentine's day had fallen on a Sunday so those not going on a date were doing something with friends. Everyone had something planned. Max tilted his head, turning to face Martin.

"You okay?" he looked concerned.

"Fine," Martin replied quietly.

"Nervous?"

"How did you guess?"

"You're voice is quieter," Max replied with a smile. "Remember, I know you almost as well as Hamish."

"I guess that is true," Martin laughed lightly, running a hand through his black curls. "I'm sorry, Max."

"What for?"

"Me."

Max narrowed his eyes, taking Martin's face in his hands. "Listen to me, Martin Watson-Holmes. There is nothing wrong with you. You, and that twin of yours, just have a bit of a problem with romantic and sexual feelings. I understand that, love. Because I know that you feel the same for me as I do for you. You may be uncomfortable with kissing and certain types of contact, but that is fine. I would wait a thousand years." Martin rolled his eyes slightly at that. Max looked quite pleased with himself, if only for a moment. "I may only be seventeen but I know that there is no one else I would like to spend with life with."

Martin blushed at that. "If that's so, prepare yourself for a lifetime of forcing me to eat. It is what papa has."

Max chuckled, moving a hand to curl around Martin's. He stood, yanking the taller boy with him. "Then so be it. Come on, Art, let's go and get ready. Those books aren't going to buy themselves."

"True," Martin smiled lightly, a bit more of his old self. The nerves were beginning to fade him, a warm feeling spreading across his chest. Max wanted to spend his life with him. That was more than Martin could have ever hoped for. Max nodded. They headed back to their room to grab some stuff before taking the short walk down to the local town. The spent the morning browsing a few shops, spending quite a bit of time in the small music store before heading into the bookstore cafe place. It was here that they had decided to have lunch. So it would be quite casual, but nice enough. Martin was in the middle of reading the blurb of a book when Max steered him towards the counter.

"You can look at more books after lunch," Max promised as he surveyed the Panini selection.

"Fine," Martin heaved a heavy sigh, darting over to put his book back in its place before returning to Max's side. They both ordered their food, finding a small two person table.

"What do you want for your birthday?" Max broke the silence, eyes fixed on his boyfriend.

"My birthday?" It took Martin a moment to remember. He was turning eighteen in March. What a strange though. Birthdays were no longer that momentous for him. Sure he celebrated them with Max, Dan, Louis and Robbie. But he didn't exactly spend them with his family, and twin.

"Yes your birthday."

"Well... I need so new reeds for my oboe," Martin mused thoughtfully.

"I'm not getting you reeds for your eighteenth birthday!"

"I don't really know." Martin gave Max a sorry smile. "I never know what I want. I know what Hamish would want. Not what I will want."

"The world works in strange ways," Max grinned. "Seems a call to your twin is in order."

Martin made a face. "He's difficult."

"And you're not?"

"Shut up," Martin pouted. "Not as difficult as Hamish. He's too like dad. Doesn't mean I don't... Love them both. Anyway, he might threaten you."

"Oh, he already did that. As did your dad."

"Why didn't you tell me?!" Martin's deep blue eyes widened, head leaning forward slightly as his mouth opened.

"Because I wasn't really worried." Max gently put his hand over Martin's, giving it a comforting squeeze. "I would never hurt you."

"I know."

"Good," Max smiled. They're food arrived and both actually ate all of what was on their plates. Which was pretty good. Max had had appetite problems for the last few months (they had occurred on and off for most of his life) while Martin, of course, just didn't like food.

Martin ended up drifting back to the bookshelves, spending quite a bit of time just browsing. Max ended up having to practically drag him out of the shop so they could get back to school in time for dinner. Not that either of them ate much. But it was good to catch up with the other guys. All of which had had dates. Many details were shared.

They were both pretty tired when they got back to the room.

"Thank you," Martin murmured as he came out of the bathroom in his pyjamas, hair damp and slightly ruffled from his shower. "For today."

"It was my pleasure," Max smiled, standing up so that he was in front of Martin. "Spending time with you is."

Martin blushed slightly. He moved forward slightly, placing a light kiss on Max's lips. Max smiled at him, just gently placing his arms around Martin's neck. Not making any moves. Martin bit his lip slightly, hands coming to rest on Max's waist. He bent down, letting their lips meet again. He held this kiss longer. Then, for the first time, he gently opened his mouth, tongue gently touching Max's. Max was quick to open his own, let their tongues touch lightly as the kiss deepened slightly. When their lips broke apart they stayed where they were standing, foreheads touching.

"I love you, Max." Martin's words were genuine. He may only be eighteen but he knew he loved, liked, Max. As much as Hamish and Molly, dad and papa. More than Karina, if only slightly. Max was like his other half. And Martin was lucky to have him.

"I love you too, Martin."