Chapter 55

Chapter 55

A note was scribbled down on paper, followed by a light humming. Another few notes, more humming with the addition of a bit of whistling. A soft sigh. More scribbling, more notes jotted down.

"Max, can you look over this for me?" Martin turned around his chair, holding out the sheet of music to his friend.

"Sure," Max smiled, taking it from him. Martin nodded, turning to another piece he was working on. Near the end of the year the fifth years and sixth years both got to put on an individual show. Martin had been roped in to writing the music for the fifth years' show, being the best composer in his year. He had done about half of the scores and was in the middle of a massive climatic piece and a violin solo for him and Max.

"How does it look?"

"Nothing out of place," Max handed back the sheet, returning to his reading where he lay on his bed. In the last two years of school instead of dormitories everyone stayed in rooms of two to four. Max and Martin were in a room together, of course. It was quite nice. "Marti?"

"Yes?" Martin continued to write notes, though he stopped humming.

"Do you, uh, have someone to go with to the ball yet?" Max purposefully looked up at the ceiling as he asked. Their fifth year ball, dance, was coming up at the weekend. Everyone was talking about who was going with and all that stuff. It was actually being held down at the local town in collaboration with the fifth year of the senior school there, to increase numbers.

"No," Martin frowned lightly, turning around to face Max. There was a hint of confusion in his deep blue eyes. He had been asked by a few girls in the year, to all of whom he had said no (politely, though). He wasn't really friendly with any of them so he had no wish to go to something with them that could be taken as the beginning of a romantic relationship. No, he couldn't imagine that with someone he didn't know that well. "Why?"

"Just curious," Max mumbled. Martin tilted his head. Max was nervous. It was quite obvious... Damn. His family's deductive abilities were beginning to rub off on him. "Actually... there is another reason."

Martin nodded ever so slight and Max raised his green eyes to meet Martin's.

"Well, you see, I was wondering... If you wanted to go with me? I understand that you won't want to because you're not-"

"Yes."

"What?"

"Yes, I'll go with you."

"Really?" Max looked absolutely elated, sitting up bolt straight where he sat. "I've known I was gay for a bit now." Martin was quite shocked at that. As far as he was aware Max had only gone out with girls (although that had only been once or twice with a few in their second and third year). "And, well, I've liked you as well for a while... you know, as more than friends. I didn't know how to say."

Martin felt a deep blush stain his cheeks and he suddenly felt self conscious, one hand moving up to push his glasses up his nose. "I like you too," he mumbled.

"What about Karina?"

"I liked, like, her as well... You know, bisexuality. My papa is a prime example of that."

"Oh, yeah," a light laugh emerged from Max's lips. Martin smiled with a nod, turning back to his music. Max let a wide grin cross his lips before going back to reading.

The day of the ball dawned, great excitement being felt through the fifth years. The evening couldn't come soon enough and most were restless for the entire day.

Martin frowned at himself in the mirror, glancing at his black curls. They were even more unruly than normal, getting to a Hamish level of messiness. He did not know what was going on. He didn't normally care about how he looked but tonight, for some reason, he did. He let out a soft sigh, steeping out of the bathroom and into his shared room with Max. His hair would have to do. It could be worse.

"How do I look?" Max stood in the middle of the room, chestnut brown hair much neater than normal. He was wearing something similar to that he wore to the Christmas ceilidhs, kilt and all.

"Amazing," Martin breathed, a light smile on his lips. "All the girls are going to want to dance with you."

Max rolled his eyes, nudging his friend in his ribs with a wink. "It's not them I want to dance with. And anyway, you don't look half bad."

"Thanks," Martin murmured. He had gone for an outfit similar to what his dad would wear, if a bit less smart. He wore black trousers and a pale blue shirt. Not a tie, of course. He shared his dad's dislike for them (and his twin's).

"Shall we go?"

"Yes," Martin nodded. "Don't want to be late." Max headed out of the door, Martin following close behind as they headed down the stairs and out into the crisp, spring air. Pretty much everyone else had already left, wanting to get down there extremely early. Martin and Max hadn't been in such a rush. As they walked down Max moved closer to Martin, hand moving over to brush his. Martin blushed as suddenly they were holding hands. He glanced at Max, who wore a soft smile on his lips. Yes, Martin definitely liked Max.

The hall was full when they entered, the first dance having already begun. The two of them at the edges, waiting for it to end so they could join in.

"May I have this dance?" Max dramatically held out his hand to Martin, a teasing twinkle in his emerald eyes.

"Of course." Martin's voice came out as little more than a whisper, but Max heard him. The two headed onto the dance floor, finding a place in the circle that had formed.

"Who'll be the girl?"

"I am taller..." Martin shrugged lightly.

"Fine," Max gave a mock sigh but changed position nonetheless. Martin gently put his hand on Max's back while Max put his on Martin's shoulder. Then their hands were clasped and the dance began. The first dance went well, and by the second the blush had faded from Martin's face and he had began to talk above a whisper. It was hard to stop being embarrassed, though, with Max constantly complimenting him on his dancing.

Eventually they both took a break, sitting at the side with Dan, Louis and Robbie (who were also taking a break) and chatting. Max ended up dragging Martin back onto the dance floor. He was rather full of energy.

It was safe to say that both were exhausted when they got back to the school and their room. Max did not take any time in changing into pyjamas and collapsing into bed, claiming that he would never get up again.

"You did make me dance most of the night," Martin pointed out quietly as he sat down on his bed, yawning lightly.

"I guess," Max replied, rolling over where he lay so he was on his stomach and so he could see Martin. "So is it official?"

"What?" Martin tilted his head. Max just raised an eyebrow and rolled his eyes.

"I thought you had a girlfriend."

"I did."

Max paused, shaking his head slightly. "Do you... Want to be in a relationship with me? Like boyfriends?"

"Of course."