Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Pickup change, ball change. Pickup change, ball change. Pickup change, pickup change, pickup change, ball change. Martin mentally practised tap as he headed for his normal secluded corner in the playground. A lot of things had changed in two years. He had done two exams each in tap, modern and ballet now being grade 2. Quite good for a seven year old.  He had also attained grade 2 violin at the age of six (skipping grade 1) and was working towards his grade 3 violin and grade 2 piano. He would undoubtedly sit both soon. He spent most of his breaks in a quiet place in the playground either sketching, practicing his dance or composing music. He hardly spent time with Karina during school now. They still went to each other’s houses now and then but she was rather popular with all the girls in the class. So she was always trailed by one of them. Was very friendly with them all, also. Hamish still only had one ‘friend’ (that being Mortimer) who he spent all his time in school with. Martin was generally alone... A thing he didn’t really mind. Gave him the space to practice, draw and compose. The three things he truly loved.

Martin sat cross legged on the ground in a corner well away from the other children, placing his sketchbook on his lap. He pulled a pencil out of the small pencil case he always carried around with him and continued the sketch he was doing. It was a surprisingly intricate drawing, that of a pirate ship. His reference was a picture he had printed out in the classroom and as a result was black and white and rather small. But it was good enough. The picture was for Hamish... a drawing of the pirate ship they pretended would be their own. Sometimes they even played make believe using their beds as ships. Hamish was always the captain and Martin his first mate. Sometime Papa and Daddy (if he wasn’t working on a case) who join in, being the enemy ship. Of course Hamish and Martin always won. Molly refused to join in. At three years old she already disliked pirates. Martin didn’t see why. They were pretty amazing.

“Hey, freak, what’s that you’ve got there?!” Martin glanced up with deep blue eyes to see who could be described as the school bully and his cronies standing in front of him.

“Nothing...” Martin murmured, moving to hide his sketchbook. The bully, Jason, quickly darted forward and grabbed it.

“Ha ha, look, it’s a drawing book!” Jason laughed, showing it to the three boys with him. “Ha ha, my daddy says that drawing is gay! He also says your dad is a freak! So you’re a gay freak!” All joined in the laughing. It was well known that Jason’s dad was a (rather bad) Detective Inspector who had some form of hatred towards Sherlock Holmes. Martin blushed, getting a strange sense of déjà vu.

“Can I have it back?”

“What was that freak?” Jason smirked as he flicked through the pages of the sketchbook. He suddenly stopped, laughing more. “Look, it’s your freak family!” He ripped the page out of the book. “And you know what we do with dirt like this?” He dropped it onto the ground and stomped on it, moving his foot around to rub it into the ground. Martin felt tears prick his eyes.

“No! Stop it!” He suddenly stood up, leaping to try and get his notebook back. Trying not to sob. He had worked really hard on that drawing. Had planned on giving it to Papa for his birthday. Now it was ruined.

Jason handed the sketchbook to another boy, pushing Martin hard as he leapt. Martin crashed into a wall, crumpling to the ground upon impact. Tears now filled his eyes and a soft whimper left his lips. Why couldn’t they just give him back his sketchbook?