Chapter 50

Author's Note

I apologise for the long wait and short chapter! Basically I have prelims coming up so I'm studying a reasonable amount. The joys. Not so much writing going on because of that. Taking me at least 4 days per chapter so... Yeah. Also trying to write my Sherlock Murder Mystery for my party :)

The chapter is short because I didn't have much to write for what I'd planned. Next one will be longer, promise!

Chapter 50

"I'm meeting Kari in the park," Martin announced after a morning game of yahtzee (one of the few games that they could play together as it was all up to luck). It had become a habit of the family during the Easter holidays to play one game every day. That day they had decided to do it in the morning.

"You're always doing things with Karina!" Hamish whined with a pout. "You never do anything with me!"

"What are you doing today, Mish?"

"... I'm taking Oliverio crime solving."

"Exactly. Don't need me for that," Martin laughed lightly, rolling his eyes as Hamish just looked at him with sad eyes.

"But... You still don't spend enough time with me!"

"You know perfectly well that I do." Martin rolled his eyes. "And now I'm going to be late. Thanks, Mish." He quickly hugged his twin with a smirk. Their dads and Molly had just been watching the exchange in an amused manner. "I'll be back later!" He grinned at his dads, who merely nodded.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do," Sherlock added, earning an arched eyebrow from John. There were not many things Sherlock would not do.

"I... won't?" Martin shrugged slightly as he answered, before waving a quick goodbye and heading down the stairs. He hurried along the streets, taking only ten minutes to walk to the park that was in between his house and Karina's house. It was a place they often met as it was close to both of them. Karina was already there, leaning against a tree with her hands in the pockets of her coat.

"Hey, Marti," she greeted him with a soft smile, pushing off the tree.

"Hi, Kari," Martin smiled back.

"I need to talk to you, Marti..." Kari trailed off, biting her lip and not looking at him. "This isn't working. Listen to me before you talk. I really like you. Love you even, with all of my heart. But at this age it can't work. I don't want to ruin what we have by rash decisions when we're young. We're only fifteen, after all. Well, you're sixteen. We need to branch out, meet other people. Maybe when we're older it will work. Maybe we'll get back together. But just now, right at this time, I can't. Very few relationships last school. Friendships, however. They do." She winced, waiting for Martin's reply.

"I agree."

"What?"

"I agree. I was going to tell you the same thing. Well, different words." Martin laughed lightly. "But I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way. Truly."

"Thank you, Martin." Karina smiled, pulling him into a tight, friendly hug. "You are the best and I love you with all my heart. Never change. And even if we're not going out you need to keep in contact." She pulled away, a teasing smile on her lips. "Anyway, a chance is needed to explore all options, isn't it?" Her phrase, put forward as a question, was combined with a wink. It confused Martin. What did she mean? "Anyway, I should go home. Mum said I could only be out for a little while." She hugged Martin again. "See you sometime, yeah?"

"Yeah," Martin nodded slightly. Karina grinned, heading off. Martin sighed, running a hand through his black curls. So, for now, it was over between him and Kari. He was glad. Because something would have gone wrong, he knew it. She was too good a friend to lose, to dear in his heart. Maybe sometime in the future, though.

What she had said was strange, though. 'Anyway, a chance is needed to explore all options, isn't it?' What did she mean? Did she mean that she had her eye on someone else? Or that they shouldn't restrict themselves to one relationship in their lives? Or was she saying that she was bisexual? Or suggesting that Martin was bisexual? Which he was, of course. He had known that for a while. That he liked boys as well as girls. He just hadn't really considered going out with another boy. Not when he had been in a relationship with Karina for the past year or so. He knew it was fine, though. Considering he had two dads.