Chapter 59

Chapter 59

"It's not like today is any more special than yesterday," Hamish complained as he trudged behind his two friends. Ollie looked behind him with a roll of the eyes, quickly shooting a glare at Mortimer telling him not to agree with Hamish before answering.

"You've turned eighteen today, Hamish."

"And? It's not like I've aged a year in a day," Hamish scowled slightly, though he still continued to follow his friends. Going to whatever destination they had chosen as the place for celebration. How fun.

Ollie gave him an exhausted look. It was an awful lot like the one papa gave dad, actually.

"That sounds like your dad all over," Mortimer put in, though they was a degree of coldness in his teasing smile. Mortimer may have forgiven Hamish, but he would never forgive Sherlock and John. He had lost his dads due to them (although Hamish was quite happy that one major criminal was dead and another behind bars).

"Shut up," Hamish muttered, running a hand through his scraggy curls.

"You celebrated it with your family," Ollie pointed out.

"Only because papa forced it onto me. And Martin."

"Sure." Sarcasm dripped off Ollie's tone. "Forced to." Ollie stopped suddenly, a wide grin flashing across his lips. Hamish groaned.

"Really? A pub. I thought you guys were better than that."

"Well, you're the only one who hasn't been able to legally drink yet. What with Mortimer turning eighteen in January and all."

"Doesn't mean I want to drink."

"You're not getting a choice, birthday boy." Ollie and Mortimer stood on both sides of Hamish, taking him by the arms and practically dragging him in. They got a table in the corner, away from those who already beginning to get a bit boisterous. Hamish grumpily sat, resting his elbows on the table and pouting. Ollie slipped in beside him and Mortimer sat opposite.

"Dinner is on us," Mortimer smirked at Hamish's obvious resignation to his fate.

"I don't want to eat," Hamish moaned, planting his face on the table. He peered up to see Mortimer and Ollie giving him identical stern stares. The 'it is your birthday and you are going to eat whether you like it or not' stare. "Fine! I'll eat."

"Good," Ollie looked smug. Mortimer was still smirking slightly. Hamish eventually removed his head from the table and glanced over the menu. A waitress came over to take their orders. Ollie ended up getting fish and chips, Mortimer nachos while Hamish just went for simple macaroni cheese. All of them got beer. Ollie ordered for Hamish, who didn't know and didn't care about the various different types.

"How's natural sciences going for you guys?" Ollie asked, leaning back in his chair in an already relaxed manner. He already knew the answer but he asked anyway.

"It's boring." Hamish and Mortimer spoke the words at almost the exact same time. They narrowed their eyes at each other, staring a few moments before shrugging. A light smile quirked the corners of Ollie's lips. They really were like two peas in a pod sometimes. Even more so than Hamish and Martin, it seemed at points.

"Of course it is," Ollie chuckled. The conversation flowed freely until their food arrived. Ollie instantly dug in, washing it down with the beer. Mortimer ate at a slower pace, but he still ate. And drank. A bit. Hamish only ate because of the constant glares he got from Ollie. He didn't even touch his drink. Not even when he was finished.

"Come on, Mish," Ollie coaxed, already on his second pint. "It's really nice."

Hamish arched an eyebrow. "I do not want it, thank you."

"Why not?" Ollie folded his arms. Mortimer watched from behind his glass, still smirking. He was always smirking.

"When my dad went drinking for the first time, before his wedding with papa, he got very drunk. From not very much. He calculated the optimal intake and everything. He still gets tipsy from a little bit of alcohol. I probably take after him."

"A lightweight, then?" Ollie chuckled. "Don't worry. One pint wouldn't be enough to get you drunk. Someone must have put shots in his drink or something."

"Papa did mention something about maybe doing that..." Hamish shrugged.

"Well I'm pretty sure I didn't put any shots in that," Mortimer put in, laughing at the suspicious look Hamish was now giving his glass. Ollie shot Mortimer a 'thanks he was about to drink it' look.

"Definitely not drinking it."

"Hamish," Ollie whined, copying the puppy dog face Hamish often put on. He wasn't very good at it, but to Hamish it was endearing. Enough so that a light blush tainted his cheeks. He hid this by taking a long drink of the amber brown liquid in the glass. Anything to hide his blush.

Turned out Hamish did not take after his dad when it came to drinking. At least he didn't feel all that tipsy after two glasses. Which was good. Ollie had drank far more than the other two. He was tipsy. But not drunk. Thankfully. Neither Hamish nor Mortimer wanted a drunk Ollie to take care of a take back home.

After the first year the three of them had rented out a flat together. They could have stayed in student accommodation but they all preferred this. For varying reasons. Upon entering Ollie headed straight to bed while Mortimer went to his room to read. Hamish called his family. Martin first. It was a Friday evening so he would be allowed to have his mobile on.

"Happy birthday!" Martin seemed quite happy.

"Happy birthday to you too, Marti."

"How was yours?"

"Fine. I was taken out to the pub by Ollie and Mortimer. They forced me to drink."

"What a shame." Martin and his sarcasm. It had been grown since he had gone to boarding school. Hamish found it entertaining... Unless it was directed at him. "I bet they forced presents onto you as well."

"It was horrifying!" Hamish found himself giggling. Maybe the beer had got to him a bit. He could sense Martin's eye roll.

"I bet it was."

"What did you do?"

"School, of course. Some of us don't have the freedom of university."

"I had classes in the morning!"

"And I'm sure they were very hard. I didn't do much interesting. Spent time with the other guys in the common room and at dinner. Was forced to eat. Had birthday cake forced on me."

"It's a cruel world." It was Hamish's turn to tease.

"You would have hated it."

"I know."

"Anyway, went back to my room with Max. He gave me my present. Basically we're going to see a concert in the Albert Hall when he comes down in summer. Then we kissed."

"Sounds amazing." Hamish smiled. He knew Martin found sexual interactions harder than Hamish. Not that Hamish knew... He just knew what he wanted. Martin had a bit more of a grasp on the emotional side. Physical, not so much. Hamish was the opposite. Probably why Martin was in a relationship and he was not.

Still, it had been a good birthday. For both of them it seemed.

Back down in London, John and Sherlock couldn't believe that their sons had turned eighteen.

----

Author's Note

Okay *takes deep breath* Wow... I actually can't believe Martin and Hamish. Seems like only days ago that I was writing them as little kids, just beginning school. Lots has changed since then. In the story and my life since I started. Anyway, thanks for reading guys! Enjoy