Chapter 42

Author's Note

Just to say, I've posted a picture with this chapter! :) I decided to draw all the characters so this is the first of many... Hamish! Hopefully he'll turn up to the right of the story or whatever. Thanks for reading!

Also a big thanks to PurpleTortoise(wattpad)/221b-ilbo(tumblr) for proof/beta reading this! Thanks! :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 42

By the time the Christmas holidays approached Martin talked to a few more people. Namely Max and occasionally the other boys in his year. And some of the girls. He quite happily talked to his twin, in the same way as he once had, and also to Sherlock, John, Molly and Mrs Hudson. All of whom he phoned regularly. The nightmares, however, had not ceased. Nor had they for Hamish.

Martin woke early in the morning of the last day of school. He sat up, yawning. The bell wasn't going to go for another ten minutes yet. He might as well get up and ready though. He hopped out of bed, quickly pulling on his school uniform. At the same time he put some more casual, but still smart, clothes onto his bed. For later. That evening the school was having the annual Christmas ceilidh. Family and friends were invited, making it an event looked forward to by all. In his first year Martin hadn't gone because he hadn't really been interested. But this year he had to. Considering he would be playing for part of the time, having joined the ceilidh band. Max had dragged him into that. The two of them played violin in it. The band was small and consisted of first and second years. There was another ceilidh band for third and fourth years and the best was for the fifth and sixth years.

All it was all rather exciting. Martin had managed to convince his family to come. He had also got them to get permission for Karina to come. Martin hadn't seen her in a while and thought it would be nice for her to come. After all, she was like family to him. Sort of.

The school day was slow. Martin got through it, though, managing to work even with Max's constant torrent of excited words. The two of them headed straight to ceilidh band practice after classes were done. That went on for an hour or so before they were released to actually get ready for the ceilidh.

"My family's coming, which is going to be awesome," Max grinned as they headed into their dorm. "Yours is too, right?"

Martin nodded. "And Karina, a friend of mine."

"Cool," Max smiled, heading over to his chest of drawers. The green eyed boy pulled out a kilt, white shirt and various other pieces of clothing. The kilt was made of a green, blue and red tartan. Martin just watched him with slightly wide eyes.

"You're wearing a kilt?"

"Of course," Max grinned. "I'm Scottish, aren't I? This is my family tartan and all. It's traditional to wear a kilt to a ceilidh. Don't worry, though. Not everyone will." He winked at Martin before skipping into the bathroom to get ready. Martin arched an eyebrow and quickly changed. He ended up wearing smart black trousers and a checked shirt under a white wool jumper. He, quite frankly, felt like he was wearing incredibly casual clothes next to Max in his kilt, white shirt, fancy jacket and such.

The two of them headed towards the hall together, violins in hand. They were playing first then they would have a chance to join in the dancing. Martin took a deep breath as they headed onto the raised platform where the four other members of the band already stood.

******

"There's Martin," John's voice was filled with pride as he talked to Sherlock. The two of them sat at a table at the side of the hall, watching the people mingling about. The dancing had not yet started but it would do so soon, undoubtedly. Hamish and Molly sat with them. Hamish was watching his twin like a hawk, whereas Molly was looking around the hall with a rather bemused expression. There were so many people wearing kilts! Karina had disappeared off to talk to some boys who had seemed to be in Martin's year.