Chapter 56

Author's Note

I don't even know what happened with this chapter xD I was just kind of listening to series 3 soundtrack when writing and this came out; some random heart to heart talk between Hamish and Martin xD Anyway, enjoy!

Chapter 56

"I'm bored!"

"You're always bored," these words were spoken by three people, all fixing Hamish with the same stare.

"Dad would agree with me if he was here," Hamish muttered, lying himself dramatically across the sofa.

"Yes, he would, but your dad is not here. He is out getting milk," John commented from where he was reading his newspaper. Hamish sighed, staring at the ceiling.

"Why is everything so boring?"

"You helped dad with a case yesterday," Martin pointed out, looking up from where he was sketching.

"But that was yesterday!"

"Yes, and you can deal with not having a case."

"But-"

"How many cases do you get in university?"

"No proper ones..."

"Exactly. You survived half a year, I think you can survive one day."

"But at University I have Ollie and Mortimer!" Unfortunately for Hamish lying down on the sofa meant that he could not duck the heavy book Martin threw at him. "Ow! What was that for."

"Work it out yourself," Martin snorted, returning to his drawing and ignoring his brother. Just another happy summer holiday day in the Watson-Holmes household. Hamish complaining, Martin drawing, Molly out with friends and John reading. If Sherlock was in the house he would join Hamish in the complaining or be trying to blow up the kitchen (with Hamish's help) which would probably result in John getting annoyed at both of them. All very normal.

Martin returned home from school for the holidays only to have both Sherlock and Hamish deducing all about how he was once again going out with someone and stuff like that. However it had been Molly who had deduced (or guessed, who knew) who it was that he was actually going out with. Once they'd found out that it was Max his dad and papa shared a look. Martin wasn't sure what the look meant, but it worried him slightly. Then papa had, jokingly said, "it seems you have decided to join us on the gay side, son." Which had earned him exhausted looks from the rest of the family. John's jokes were almost as bad as Sherlock's (and Hamish's) boredom at times.

"I'm home!" Sherlock called, his presence pretty obvious by the way he unceremoniously dumped the shopping bag on the dining hall table. It seemed there were at least three cartons of milk in there. John arched an eyebrow, looking unimpressed.

"Well, put the milk away rather than just putting on the table." John put down his book, folding his arms and fixing Sherlock with a hard stare. It was weird how they always fought over the small things, namely the milk, yet never anything bigger. And generally it was just Sherlock being an annoying twat. Sherlock scowled, much like a little child being told off by his mother, and grumpily put the cartons of milk away. After doing this he flung himself down across John's lap, lying against his husband with a loud proclamation.

"Bored!"

John sighed. "Right. We're going on a family outing."

That was how they ended up at the Imperial War Museum. They had all, of course, been there quite a few times before. However John liked the place and that was why he had dragged Sherlock and the twins there. Hamish and Martin managed to escape their dad and papa's long winded explanations of everything (they were both seventeen and had been here numerous times, they knew just about everything) to head over to the museum's cafe. They both ended up buying drinks from money that Hamish had pick pocketed off John (he was their papa, it was fine) and finding a table far away from others to sit in silence.

"So... You and Max?" Hamish broke the silence, hands pressed together under his chin as he watched his twin across the table.

"Yup," Martin replied quietly, arching an eyebrow. "Please tell me you don't have a problem with it?"

"Of course not," Hamish smiled. "Max seems nice enough. It's just... You've been in two relationships before Molly has even had one."

"She is four years younger."

"Yeah, but she's a romantic like papa. I don't understand that kind of thing and you..."

Martin rolled his eyes slightly, a light smile tugging the corners of his lips. "I don't really understand it either, Mish. It's just a feeling. And what I think you're getting at is that Molly isn't demisexual."

"What now?" Hamish just looked confused now, causing Martin to laugh slightly.

"Demisexual. In simple terms not being attracted to someone until you get close to them."

Hamish waved his hands around. "Unimportant."

"Basically you don't understand it."

"Shut up," Hamish shot a mock glare at him. "Neither do you!"

"True," Martin smiled with a shrug. "But I'm beginning to learn to. I think everyone knows what love is, just some find it harder to understand. I know that I love Max and I know that I love Karina. Or fancy them or whatever." He shrugged. "I know I love you, dad, papa and Molly but in the family sense. That is as far as I have got in the way of understanding love."

Hamish narrowed his eyes, looking at his brother closely. He felt like it was the first time he was truly seeing Martin. He had matured recently. For seventeen years everyone had thought that Hamish had got all of Sherlock's genes, that Molly had got both and that Martin seemed to take after neither personality wise. Nobody had ever seen those traits, those hidden traits, from Sherlock that had nestled themselves in Martin. Not even Hamish. His silence and shyness had always seemed so opposite to Sherlock's constant talking that it was unbelievable that he would even take after him. However he did. Martin was smart. And, just like Sherlock and Hamish, he did not understand the world of romance. Not as much as your ordinary person. Yes, he loved. Everyone did. Yes, he was in a relationship. But he didn't understand it all. He pretended to.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

"That you didn't understand it, like me. I thought you wouldn't be with someone for other reasons. You not talking, your shyness."

Martin shrugged. "Not exactly important is it, Mish? I didn't feel the need to."

"So... You didn't know that you liked Max, or Karina?"

"Karina... Not really. Not until I talked to dad and papa about what love was like." He shrugged again. "It's hard to explain. I just know that I will always love Karina and I will always love Max and maybe one day I will have to choose between them."

Hamish tilted his head, reaching one arm over to rest his hand on Martin's shoulder. "Don't worry about it. That's in the future."

"I know," Martin replied, glancing upwards.

Hamish nodded slightly. It made more sense now. Even if only a little bit. He did like Oliverio.