Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Martin paced their bedroom, nervously tugging at his unruly black curls. He hadn't even attempted to tame them. Hamish watched with some form of amusement, a wry smile lighting up his face. They were both dressed reasonably fancily. Well, it was really normal clothes for Hamish. Basically a suit, but without the tie. His shirt was a light blue colour, reasonably plain and a bit too small. He basically had the same dress taste as his dad.

Martin wore much the same. A deep green shirt, black trousers, black shoes and a reasonably smart black jacket. Hamish had no doubt that they would be the best dressed among those of their gender at the ceilidh. Which he desperately did not want to go to. No, he had no wish to attend it. Yet his Papa was forcing him to attend. Molly was at a friend's for a sleepover so it meant that their dads would be having a quite night at home. Hamish didn't like dancing. And it wasn't like any of the girls would like to dance with him. Not that he liked girls. At all.

Martin, though, was looking forward to it with some kind of nervous anticipation. He was going there with someone, though. Karina. Martin had been rather surprised when she asked him to go with her. She could have gone with anyone. After all she was really popular and pretty. Just about every other boy in their class had a crush on her. Or something like that. But she had turned down any offers and gone with Martin. Unpopular Martin.

"Do I look ok?" Martin was panicking now.

"You look fine, Marti," Hamish chuckled.

"But my hair is so messy, Mish!" Martin continued to pace, tugging at his hair more.

"Messy in a good way, Marti." It was John that spoke this time, leaning against the doorway of their room. He had appeared just in time to hear Martin's last worried exclamation. "Are you two ready? You'll have to go soon."

Hamish gave a dramatic sigh, standing. "Unfortunately, yes. I am ready."

John chuckled, shaking his head. "You'll enjoy it, Hamish. You really will."

"No I won't." Hamish was interrupted from going into a long rant about how horrible the ceilidh would be when Mrs Hudson shouted up.

"Someone's here!"

"Karina," Martin breathed, darting past John whose eyes were shining with amusement. Sherlock watched on in a passive manner as his son passed him and practically fell down the stairs in his haste to get to the door.

Martin's breath was taken away at the sight of Karina. Her reasonably long, dark hair had been pinned back intricately and she seemed to have applied a flavoursome amount of makeup. And her dress... It was a light cream in colour, nearing white, and about knee length. It contrasted her hair and complimented her grey-blue eyes. Wow. She looked really nice.

"Hi, Kari," Martin blushed slightly, running a hand through his unruly curls.

"Hi, Marti," Kari smiled sweetly back. Martin bit his lip, glad when Hamish, John and Sherlock all appeared behind him.

"Karina," Hamish nodded to her.

"Hamish."

"Are you all okay to walk along by yourselves?" John glanced at his sons worriedly. Hamish just nodded with an almost annoyed look.

"We can look after ourselves, Papa!"

"Right, then. Off you go and have a good time," John smiled warmly, ruffling both of the twins' hair. Hamish scowled and ducked away whereas Martin just stayed still.

"Yes, have fun," Sherlock added with an almost teasing smile at Hamish. A smile that said something along the lines off 'when I was your age I was never forced to go to dances by my dad.'

"I won't," Hamish scowled as he headed out the door with a scowl.

John laughed lightly as he headed up the stairs, Sherlock right in front of him. He made sure to close the door behind him, a cheeky smile dancing across his lips.

"So it seems it is just you and me this evening."

"Good. I know what I want to do," Sherlock replied with a smirk before moving in for a long, passionate kiss. John wrapped his arms around Sherlock's neck as he was pushed against the door. This was definitely going to be a good evening.

"I'm so bored," Hamish complained to Martin as they sat to the side in the moment between dances. Martin just rolled his eyes but didn't say anything. Hamish would get that he was basically telling him that he was being stupid.

"I mean Mortimer isn't even here! So I don't have anyone to talk to. No offense, Marti. But you have spent most of the evening with Karina." Martin replied with a shrug. He wasn't really offended. At all. He understood what his twin meant. Like he always did. "And I can't dance! I don't like it and I don't like girls!"

"Ready for the next dance, Marti?" Karina grinned as she appeared with two of her friends, sitting down next to Martin who just nodded. Hamish let out a rather loud groan. "Not looking forward to it, Hamish."

"Who in their right of mind would look forward to yet another horrible dance?!"

"Normal people."

"Ugh. How boring." Hamish had a deep scowl on his lips, one that he had worn for pretty much the whole ceilidh so far. Martin shot a slight glare in his direction. Trying to tell him to shut up.

The sound of music beginning filled the hall, signalling the start of another dance. Karina grabbed Martin's hand and pulled him towards the line beginning to form around the dance hall. They held hands as they prepared to start the military two step.

"Are you enjoying the ceilidh?" Karina asked in whisper as they turned to each other as the dance dictated. Martin nodded.

"I like dancing," he replied simply with a smile. He didn't need to say much else. A wide smile crossed Karina's lips, lighting up her clear eyes. They danced in silence. A content, friendly silence, though. They didn't need to say anything.

"Thank you for the dance," Karina gave a slight curtsy to Martin. "The last one as well. Thank you for the night. You're a much better dancer than all the other boys in our class." Martin blushed at that. "But then again, you do actually do dancing!" She laughed lightly. "But yeh, thank you." She suddenly hugged him, pulling away with a dazzling smile. Martin blinked slightly, eventually moving away to find Hamish.

Hamish may not have enjoyed the night but Martin definitely had. It would be one to remember.