Chapter 68

Author's Note

A long awaited chapter... Muhahahaha

-----

Chapter 68

"So what are you doing with Max for Valentine's day?" Catriona was skipping beside Martin with surprising enthusiasm for a twenty year old young woman.

"That's a secret," Martin rolled his eyes in reply. Catriona had been pestering him all day about it, but Martin had refused to tell her. She would just tell Max. Accidentally, of course. But Martin had set up a surprise. Okay, it wasn't that brilliant. But he was looking forward to it. Everything was in place. Max had some shopping to do after classes that day, thankfully, which would give Martin enough time to prepare. "What are you doing with Ellen?"

"Oh, just the cinema, being the skint students that we are." Catriona flashed a grin at him. "Then back to hers for a small dinner and some sexy times."

Martin made a fake gagging noise, followed by a cough. "I so did not want to hear that."

"Want more details?"

"No!"

"Aw, come on, I tolerate you and Max kissing in front of me."

Martin turned a deep, tomato red. "That was only a few times."

"Sure, whatever you say Art," came Catriona's sarcastic reply. Martin just shook his head, not replying. They were at the lecture theatre anyway. Time for studying past composers and their pieces... Fun. Even though Martin did find some of the course a bit boring he enjoyed it overall and was doing very well. One of the best in the small group of students doing it.

Martin's one on one tutoring that day finished around two in the afternoon, meaning he could head back to their flat to start preparing. It would take a while, but it would be worth it.

There were butterflies in Max's stomach as he headed up the stairs, bag with a few groceries in hand. It was just the excuse, of course. He had bought something far more important than food. A light frown crossed his lips as he entered a mostly dark flat, the only dim light coming from the flickering candles on the small two person table. Max's eyes widened at the sight of the reasonably fancy meal set out, coupled with wine and romantic violin music filling the room.

"What do you think?" Martin looked unsure of himself as he appeared from where he had been seemingly hiding.

"It's amazing, Art," Max murmured, moving in and planting a kiss on his lips. "Perfect."

"I'm glad." Martin pulled out Max's chair for him before sitting. They began the meal in silence, just enjoying each other's company. It was nice to catch a quiet moment together among the hustle and bustle of life.

"Martin?"

"Yeah."

"I need to tell you something." Max put down his fork, emerald eyes glancing up at the ceiling as he bit his lip.

"Go ahead," Martin tilted his head, looking slightly confused.

"Well... I should have told you a long time ago. At the beginning of our relationship." Martin didn't like where this was going. "Eh, your dads and brother already know I think. They worked it out." What? "Basically... I'm sure you've noticed the fact that I get pneumonia a lot along with quite a bad cough. Also that I use an inhaler but don't actually have asthma. Also that I go to the toilets at least three times a day without actually needing the toilet..." Martin nodded. "That's basically me bringing up the mucus from my airways." Okay. "Basically, Martin, I'm... Dying."

"What?!" Martin was taken aback, deep blue eyes widening. Know. Max couldn't be serious.

"Okay, I'm sorry. Not the right way to put it," Max gave a sad smile. "At the age of four I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. Basically a really thick mucus builds up in my lungs. I have a life expectancy of around thirty seven years, which means I've lived more than half my life already."

"Oh, Max..." Martin trailed off, biting his lip. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"Because I didn't want you to know. I thought, maybe, for a while I could just make it go away. Ignore it. Because it's hard, knowing that I'm going to die. So hard. And I want to cause the least pain possible."

Martin shook his head slightly. He was too invested, too in love, to be protected from the pain that Max would cause when he left them behind.

"I understand if you want to save yourself the trouble of seventeen more years."

"Max..." Martin bit his lip, voice cracking slightly. It had reached its quieter levels which it did when Martin got emotional. "I'm not going to leave you. There is no one else that I would want my heart to be broken by. I love you, I have loved you for as long as I can remember really. You are already in my heart and there is no way I can get you out." It would be hard. Because Max did have his part of Martin's heart, a really big part. And when Max left... Part of Martin's heart would go with him.

Max sniffed, wiping away a tear that trickled down his cheek as a sad smile once again appeared on his lips. "Martin... Thank you. You are the only one I can imagine spending the rest of my life with. And I'm sorry, so sorry. You are going to have it worse than me... My health will deteriorate, I won't be the same person I am. I'll stop being able to do things for myself, be constantly in hospital. There will be loads of problems."

"Then I will treasure what years we have when you are healthy."

Max's smile was watery as he moved from his chair. Martin tilted his head, watching his boyfriend carefully as he got down onto one knee.

"Martin James Watson-Holmes... Will you marry me?"

"Of course," Martin blinked back the tears as Max smiled up at him, slipping the ring on. Martin moved away only momentarily to get his own box.

"Maxwell Angus Adams, will you marry me?"

"Yes, yes."

The exchange of rings done, the two embraced, lips meeting and hearts full of love.