Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"Here we are again," John commented with a wry grin as he and Sherlock sat down in plastic chairs in the corridor to wait. It was parent's evening, the second and last one of the year. This year, of course, John and Sherlock were there for three of their children. Anyway, it was Hamish and Martin's last year in primary school. It was rather scary to think that they would be starting senior school the next year. Even though Hamish had already started that work. But still. They weren't babies anymore. They would soon be teenagers, actually. John was dreading that. Teenage Hamish. He would be a handful.

The door opened and the parents before them walked out.

"Only two minutes late," Sherlock arched an eyebrow as he and John stood, entering the room. "A new record." John just rolled his eyes.

"Mr Holmes, Dr Watson." The teacher, Mr Harrison, held out his hand. Each shook it before sitting down. "Now, Molly." He smiled genuinely at them. "She's doing very well. Top of the class in almost everything, she could be working at least two years ahead if she wanted to. She does work a year above her own. She is very popular and spends the time she had when finished helping others with their works. She is a very kind and considerate girl. She is very good at English and especially reading, which she seems to really enjoy. Her Maths is of a high standard and she is rather interested in science, especially that to do with the human body. She completes all her work and lessons with the same enthusiasm."

"Even history?" Sherlock questioned, arching an eyebrow.

"Yes, even that. She tries her best in the subjects she is not so good at, those being Art and Drama. She is quite good at music. I am overall very pleased with Molly. She is lovely to teach."

"Is that all?" John tilted his head slightly.

"Yes, I think that is all," Mr Harrison replied. "I could go on all day talking about Molly's virtues but I am sure that you have somewhere else to be."

"Yes, thank you," John nodded with a smile. Sherlock also offered one to the teacher before they left.

It wasn't until half an hour later that they began Martin and Hamish's parents evening. The teacher, Mrs Bates, had been running a bit late. As per normal, really.

"I think I will begin with Hamish," Mrs Bates began, earning a slight nod from John and Sherlock.  "Obviously he is taking almost all of his classes at the senior school now. All the teachers report back that he is attaining very high grades. But he has a tendency to get bored, or so he claims, and thus gets disruptive in class. This is only helped by his friend, Mortimer, who seems to get as bored as easily. Hamish can be very disrespectful and rude, to both the teachers and other pupils. He is a very bright student but he needs a major attitude change." John frowned, glancing at Sherlock who just look sheepish. So obviously Sherlock had been difficult when in school. "Now, as you know Hamish is working two years ahead of his own. Due to this he will be selecting the subjects he is doing for GSCEs in a few months and sitting these exams in two years. You will get more information about this closer to the time."

John nodded, once again glancing at Sherlock who seemed deep in thought.

"Now, Martin. He is still excelling in Art and Music. His English is good as well, especially reading. He struggles with the practise critical essays sometimes because he cannot necessarily find the words he wants to describe his thoughts. He is doing quite well, though. He is rather shy, still, around his classmates and spends most of the time with his brother. I have tried putting him in groups with others but this doesn't seem to help. Now, his Maths..." Both John and Sherlock inwardly winced. "He is struggling. He cannot seem to wrap his mind around the common concepts. I have tried helping him as much as possible but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm afraid this is his one big weakness." She nodded slightly before pulling something out of a file and slipping it across the table to Sherlock and John. Both glanced down at it, eyes narrowed.

It seemed to be a brochure. The title at the front said 'Starwood School for the Arts.' It was a strange name for a school, to say the least. John was slightly confused as to why they were being shown this. It didn't take Sherlock long to deduce it, though. It was a suggestion. For a school to send Martin to. Rather than continuing his education at the one he was in at the moment.

"Applications need to be in by the end of the month," Mrs Bates commented.

"What exactly is the school?" John asked with a frown, catching on to what was being suggested. Sherlock picked up the brochure and began to read through it.

"It is a school that concentrates quite heavily on Arts. Those being drama, music, dancing and art mostly. Other lessons are still taken but extra time is put into the arts. I think Martin would fit in very well there. He would be with other people like him and get to do what he loves. It is a very good school and highly recommended. But..."

"But what?" Sherlock's colourful eyes shot up from the brochure.

"It is a boarding school in Scotland. Martin would be away from home most of the year. But I would highly recommend that he goes there. He could even try for a scholarship. I'm sure he would get at least one of them."

John nodded slightly. "Thank you. We will think it over." He picked up the brochure and headed out, Sherlock following.

"Daddy! Papa!" Molly practically jumped at her dads when they entered the house. John chuckled, ruffling her hair. The little girl was dressed in purple pyjamas, her blonde curls falling in an unruly manner about her face.

"Shouldn't you be in bed?" John chuckled.

"Mrs Hudson let me stay up late!" Molly grinned from ear to ear. Sherlock rolled his eyes.

"Well off to bed with you," the dark haired man smiled, ushering her towards her room. John gave her a big goodnight hug before heading to the twins' room. They would undoubtedly be in there.

And indeed they were. Both were reading, light smiles on their faces. John carefully sat on Martin's bed, earning a bright smile from both of his sons.

"Your dad and I need to talk with you two," John began, watching the twins carefully.

"What about?" Hamish asked brightly. "Wait, let me guess!" He screwed his face up in concentration. "One of us had a bad report."

"Not even close."

"Em... Martin needs to improve his Maths?" Hamish earned a glare for that one. "No? Em..."

"You won't get it, Hamish," Sherlock's deep voice resonated around the room as he entered, sitting on Hamish's bed.

"What is it then?" Hamish asked brightly.

"Ah, well," John began with a light cough. "A suggestion was made to us about schools during your parent's evening. It was recommended that Martin switch schools." John glanced at Martin, who was watching him intently. "The school suggested is Starwood school for the Arts. It specialises in art, music, dance and drama. It is highly recommended and we are sure that Martin would really enjoy it there. Make some new friends."

"Great, he should go!" Hamish put forward enthusiastically.

"Wait. The thing is... It is a boarding school in Scotland. Martin would only be home for the holidays." John glanced at Sherlock. "Your dad and I have discussed it and we are willing to send Martin there if he wants to go."

"What?! But he can't go! Marti can't live anywhere other than here! What happens if he doesn't make any friends?! Marti doesn't like speaking to strangers, you know. And he might miss me a lot. And Molly. And everyone. Marti wouldn't like it. He would miss me too much." It was Hamish's strange way of saying that he would miss Marti a lot (well, more than a lot) if he went to boarding school. Masked by concern for Martin. Of course Hamish was probably concerned for Martin but he just didn't seem to want to admit that he would miss him.

"I don't think it your choice whether Martin goes or not, Hamish. And if he doesn't like it we will pull him out. But it is Martin's choice." Martin blushed slightly as all eyes turned on him. Eventually he spoke in a quite voice.

"I think I'd like to go."