Chapter 51

Chapter 51

"University application done," Hamish commented with a grin as John walked into his room to check on him.

"Good," John replied with a smile, ruffling his son's hair and sitting down beside him. He had been pestering Hamish to get it done for ages. At least finally he had got on with it. He was applying to Cambridge, Oxford and a few others with the goal to go to Cambridge. He would undoubtedly get in. John found the thought scary. His son, who was sixteen, was going to University. That was terrifying as a parent. He knew Hamish would be fine and not that far away, but still. He would worry. Both him and Sherlock. "Just have to get the results you need in your exams and get in."

Hamish rolled his eyes. "Of course I'll get in. I took three A-levels last year and got straight A*s in the subjects I needed. I'm almost guaranteed to get in. I could fail with these next three exams."

"But you won't," John smiled. "Because you're too smart for that." John was surprised how he never really felt overwhelmed by the intelligence of his children. Hamish was just like Sherlock genius wise. Martin was a genius in other ways; the artistic ways. Molly was also like Sherlock, but already planning to go down John's career path (that being medicine). John was just the normal bloke of the family. But he loved it and wouldn't have his kids any other way.

"Of course I won't" Hamish replied with a shrug, lying back on his bed. "I will breeze through without trying." Definitely like his dad. He had been developing his, well, arrogance lately. That being the "I'm always right and know everything."

"I believe you." John smiled, getting up and leaving.

Hamish was indeed right (as per usual). He breezed through his exams, passing with straight A*s. He was not at all surprised when he got accepted into Cambridge (and ever other university he applied to) during the summer. John was over the moon for Hamish, as was Molly. Martin was absolutely elated for his twin, his excitement quite clearly heard through the phone (he was staying with Max in Edinburgh for the first two weeks of the holiday). Sherlock, like Hamish, treated it with a kind of indifference. In a manner of 'it was quite obvious he would get in – what are you so excited about.' Hamish also wasn't really surprised when he got a call from Ollie later than night.

"Did you get in?"

"Of course," Hamish snorted his reply, a light grin on his face. Ollie's first words had been exactly what he had expected. "You?"

"Congrats! And yes! I did. What college?"

"Peterhouse."

"Same." Hamish could hear the smile in Ollie's voice. "We need to go out and celebrate."

"No. I am not being dragged to a party with your friend," Hamish groaned. "I've got a... family dinner."

"That will be postponed until tomorrow if you're going somewhere with Ollie," Sherlock commented with a smirk at his son while he walked past, having got the gist of the conversation from Hamish's groan. He said it loud enough for Ollie to hear. Sherlock liked Oliverio. He was a good friend for Hamish. Both John and him put a lot of effort into pushing Hamish out the door to do something with Ollie and his friends. So he would have some form of social life (a thing Sherlock never truly had).

"Looks like you don't anymore," Ollie's laugh caused Hamish to scowl even though he knew his friend was being teasing. "Anyway, don't worry. It's not a party."

"What have you got planned then?"

"I was thinking that we could go ice skating."

Hamish paused, eyes narrowing before he replied. "No. No way."