Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The new fathers didn’t allow any visitors for just over a month, excluding Mrs Hudson of course. They just didn’t have the time or so they claimed. After all two babies were a bit of a handful. Well, in John’s opinion he was looking after two babies and a big kid. It was hard work. Sherlock spent most of the time asking when they could take them to crime scenes with them (but not when they were going back to work, strangely enough), when they would be able to talk and the like. John truthfully didn’t know the answer. He said it would all come.

Hamish really did seem to be turning into a mini Sherlock. He was very loud and demanding, with intelligent blue eyes that always seemed to be watching the world around him. Observing. He was forever babbling away in his little baby language as if his dads knew what he meant. He seemed to almost understand the things around him. Properly. Sherlock had taken great delight in reading to him from chemistry books and other advanced stuff like that. Things that Martin wasn’t interested in at all.

Martin was a bit of a mystery to his fathers. He was developing like any other baby. Didn’t understand anything around him at all. The only things that made him any different was his eyes. And that wasn’t really a good thing at all. John, truthfully, wasn’t worried about his development rate. Maybe he just hadn’t got the genius gene and was more like John. Sherlock was agitated by this however. Stressing over how he would teach him how to observe. John just told him to calm down and wait until Martin was actually old enough to do any of those things (he conceded by saying that Hamish already seemed to be deducing).

It was when the twins were one month, one week and four days old that Sherlock and John allowed their first visitor. People had been pestering them since the birth to come round. Mycroft, Lestrade (who now generally arrived with Mycroft since they were in a relationship), Molly... Even John’s older sister wanted to visit them. John didn’t think Harry coming round was the best idea. What with her alcoholic tendencies and all. So they settled on the safest person to invite round. Molly.

“They’re adorable,” Molly almost squealed, practically fawning over Hamish. The little boy in her arms absolutely bathed in the attention he was getting. Babbling nonsense back at her. His gurgling was rather cute. At least in John’s opinion. Martin slept silently in John’s arms, sucking a thumb as he did so. As adorable as his twin brother but in a different way. He was yet to make any noise which didn’t worry John. At only one month old not all babies could make sounds.

“They most certainly are.” Sherlock was fussing about like an overprotective parent, making sure Molly held the baby right and all. Molly rolled her eyes at him, poking Hamish on the nose gently. This made him laugh lightly. He then continued to babble, deep blue eyes fixed on Molly. He looked so serious. Nothing like a child of one month.

“I see this is the one that takes after Sherlock,” Molly chuckled, handing Hamish back to Sherlock at the insistence that she had held him long enough and he wanted to go back to his daddy. These antics highly amused John. He hadn’t expected Sherlock to turn so doting... When it came to his children. John smiled lightly and gave Molly Martin to hold, warning her not to wake him.

“How unlike Sherlock,” she commented softly as she took him, rocking the baby gently in her arms. “So quiet...”

“Unlike Sherlock?” A new voice entered the room. “Well that’s a relief; I was worried we’d have two identical Sherlock children running around.” Sherlock’s eyes narrowed, annoyance flashing through them. He gave John an exasperated look.

“Did you invite over my brother and Lestrade?” His question was demanding, an almost sullen look appearing on his face.

“Yes, I thought they might as well come too,” John smiled lightly, nodding to Mycroft and Lestrade as they walked in. “Hello Mycroft, Greg.” He nodded to them both. “Meet Hamish and Martin Watson-Holmes.” Glancing at John Molly stood to hand Martin over to Mycroft. He took the baby with a surprisingly gentle manner, looking down at him softly.

“I never thought I would be an uncle,” he said truthfully, ignoring the glares Sherlock was giving John and Molly. For even considering giving the baby to Mycroft never mind actually doing it!

“Sherlock, let Lestrade hold Hamish. He’ll be fine.” John was fixed by a look of disbelief from Sherlock almost matched by Hamish. John chuckled. Sherlock handed over the baby eventually with much grumbling. Lestrade held him with a bright beam. If they were going by technicalities he was the twins’ uncle as well. John noted how babies brought out the best in people. Most definitely.

“He’s beautiful,” Lestrade commented, earning a happy gurgle from Hamish. “I’m glad it turned out well from you two. Because... me and Mycroft and considering having our own child in a couple of years.”