Chapter 76

Chapter 76

Everyone was on the platform to greet them as they got off the train.

"Happy birthday, Mish!" Martin greeted his brother with a smile, letting go of the suitcase he had been pulling behind him to hug his brother. "Sorry we couldn't make it earlier, both of us were playing last night." Both Martin and Max had gotten a job in an orchestra after leaving university, with Max playing the clarinet in it while Martin played the oboe. Both had also joined a ceilidh band on a voluntary basis, paid for the ceilidhs they went to. Max was part of a pipe band and Martin had been forced by his husband to join a choir so he would actually use his singing talents. Adding on both of them dabbling in art at the side, Martin's occasional dancing and also composing for some stage productions and it was all a little chaotic. But fun nonetheless. They would undoubtedly have to cut it down soon.

"Happy birthday to you too, Marti," Hamish grinned at his twin, returning the hug. "And don't worry about it. It's good to see you, and you too Max." He nodded to his brother in law. "And think we're having some kind of lunch dinner. Molly and Ollie made the cake... Both refused to let any of us help. Probably after that time we failed to make one for Molly." Hamish laughed. "I haven't seen it yet."

"I'm sure it's great," Martin smiled, turning to look at Molly. "Hey, sis, how's uni?"

Molly shrugged. "Fine, getting a bit harder but nothing I can't handle. How's life as a musician?"

"Great."

"That's good to hear," John smiled up at his son before deciding to just hug him. "For both of you, I'm assuming?"

"Yup, we're in the same orchestra," Martin glanced at Max, who nodded. "It's a bit hectic at the moment but things might settle down."

"And your health is holding up?" Sherlock's piercing gaze was on Max.

"Yes, thankfully. I am yet to get pneumonia this winter which is always a good sign and quite unusual."

"Even if you did I would be there to look after you," Martin spoke softly.

"Yes, I have Martin," Max's smile was warm as he looked at Martin. Sherlock and John exchanged a glance.

"How about we head back to the house? We're walking, if that is okay, it only takes about twenty minutes," John put in. The food was probably almost ready and it wouldn't be too good to leave it to burn.

"Sounds good," Martin replied, Max nodding. They headed off, the two who had travelled from Scotland dragging suitcases behind them. Ollie offered to take Max's and Hamish to take Martin's but both refused. They were fine. The walk was spent catching up. After all it had been a while since they had properly seen everyone. Max and Martin's lives had been hectic and they had spent Christmas with Max's family, posting presents to everyone else. Of course, they phoned, but it wasn't quite the same. Hamish's work as the consulting detective was going well, although there had been quite a few odd cases following the murder of Miss North. Also Mortimer and Arianna seemed to still be in a steady relationship. It seemed neither Mycroft or Greg were too pleased about it but Arianna seemed happy so they didn't object. Hamish suspected that something was going on. Ollie was still working towards his PhD with just over a year to go before he became Doctor Oliverio Álvarez. Molly was doing well at university and had had a few relationships but none had lasted very long. She'd also helped someone track down the sender of malicious texts. It hadn't taken her long to solve that. John and Sherlock were still very much relaxed in their new way of live with their little bee farm thriving. Sherlock was really quite enthusiastic about it. John had decided to take up knitting as a hobby, as Sherlock did most of the bee keeping, and was adored by all of the older ladies in the community who were part of the knitting club he had joined. Sherlock was the one who pushed him towards that hobby.