Chapter 75

Author's Note

So this is me finally back after a month of exams! Yay, back to normal writing... Pretty much xD This isn't too good because it was written while I was on a train early morning on the way to London (seeing Star Trek Into Darkness at the Royal Albert Hall with an orchestra playing all of the music!) so yeah xD Next chapter is already written, better and should be up soon :) Enjoy!

Chapter 75

"Is it just me, or is all the work harder than last year?" Heather groaned, face planting into the book she had in front of her.

"Unsurprisingly, it is," Molly rolled her eyes as she jotted down some notes, voice low so not to catch the attention of the librarian. They had picked a pretty good spot so as to be able to talk, though. Just not loudly. "I mean who would have thought the second year of uni would be harder than the first." She smiled teasingly at her friend. "We have loads of years ahead of us!"

"I know, don't remind me!" Heather's voice was muffled by the book she had her face on.

"You knew that when you went into medicine."

"Yeah, I'm beginning to regret that career choice."

"No you're not," Molly smiled slightly. "It'll be worth it in the end. And hey, at least you're not planning to become a surgeon like me. That adds on quite a few years of training." It was something like eight extra years. That was going to be interesting.

"Yeah, it's going to be a long time until you're fully trained for that," Heather shook her head slightly. "Not something I would like to go into."

"I'll become a doctor at the same time as you, remember. And it's not for everyone, I guess."

"Definitely not."

"Well I myself only have two or so more years left," Finn smirked as he pulled out the chair beside Molly, plonking himself down. He eyed her notes with an arched eyebrow. "That's a lot of work."

Molly glared at him. "Just because you don't bother doing extra work outside of turning up to lectures."

"I'll have you know I do! I just know how to have fun rather than working all day."

"I really don't want to know what you're idea of fun is."

"I could show you, if you want," Finn winked with a teasing grin. Molly snorted.

"Thanks but no thanks."

Heather watched their exchange with an amused smile. "Remind me again why you guys split up - ow!" She reached down to rub the leg that Molly had kicked.

"Yeah, why did we split up Molly?" Finn asked, nudging her in the side.

"Because you're a jerk."

"True." He looked solemnly at Heather. "It was our mutual horribleness."

Heather laughed, smiling. "But seriously you're a perfect couple."

Molly gave Heather a withering look. "We're better off as friends. Believe me, it didn't work."

"She is right," Finn shrugged. "Could never be with Molly... forever. I'll stick as a friend."

"Fine, but that won't stop me shipping it," Heather sighed.

"Heather you can't ship real people!" Finn just looked confused at Molly's outburst. He was obviously not well versed in the realms of fandoms. Poor innocent Finn.

"I can and I will," Heather retorted.

"Okay I officially have no idea what you guys are talking about," Finn put his hands up, looking so confused.

"Quite obviously, we're talking about ships," Molly replied seriously.

"And canons," Heather added in with a smirk.

"What does a ship have to do with my relationship with Molly? And cannons?"

Molly and Heather just shared a look before bursting into laughter. Finn stared at them with his mouth agape, bewilderment in his eyes.

"What?"

"It doesn't matter, Finn," Molly tried to stop herself laughing. It wasn't fair on Finn but she really had no interest in explaining it to him. "Look it up on the internet if you really want to know."

"I might," Finn made a face. "Not sure I really want to know though. At all."

"Your choice," Molly shrugged. She turned back to her work, narrowing her eyes at the notes she was making. Heather had already gone back to reading the book she was using. Finn pouted for a few moments, unhappy that the attention had moved from him and back to work. After a while he gave a sigh and got up.

"Bye," Heather waved cheerily, looking up to grin at Finn.

"See you later," Molly added without even looking up. With Finn gone the two of them continued to work in a reasonable amount of silence. They had decided it was a good idea to do it all now due to the fact that they were going out to the pub that evening so they wouldn't do anything later than night. And they had a whole lot to do. Things had gotten harder in the second year.

"Well I can't do anymore," Heather just looked defeated. "We've been working for hours!"

"You do have a point," Molly conceded, putting down her pen.

"Let's go get ready," Heather grinned.

"Yeah."

An hour later a small group of them headed from the accommodation down to the local pub. Molly and Heather were of course going along with Emily. There were also Joe and Isabel, two other people from their year of the medical course. Finn, of course, was tagging along with a friend from his course, Will. It made it quite a group.

"It's nice to be able to actually legally drink," Molly commented with a smile as they found a table big enough to seat them.

"Just because you're a smart person who is a year younger than all of us," Finn sniped at her.

"I'll take that as a compliment, Finn dearest."

"I ship it," Heather whispered loudly to Emily, earning a punch from Molly but making Emily giggle.

"I still don't get any of that," Finn frowned, glancing at Will who just shrugged. Joe and Isabel looked equally confused. The slightly awkward atmosphere brought about by Heather's 'whispered' comment was quickly dispersed when they ordered food before settling into comfortable conversation. Molly was quite happy sipping her beer and listening more than talking.

"So, Molly, Finn told me your dad was a detective," Will began, looking at her carefully. Molly arched an eyebrow. Well he wasn't just asking for no reason...

"Consulting detective," Molly corrected with a smile. "Was the only one in the world, now my brother has taken that position. And yes, I learned a lot from him. What can I help you with?"

"Just a small thing, really, but I keep on getting messages from an unknown number. Untraceable, too. And they're not the nicest." He winced. "Some contained death threats."

"Well, Will, you've come to the right person."