Chapter 54

Chapter 54

"I'm so glad that I've got a free day tomorrow," Ollie mumbled through his food, relief clearly visible in his dark brown eyes. "This week has been tough." He was met by arched eyebrows from the two sixteen year olds he was eating with, and sceptical looks. "Shut up! Just because you're both geniuses."

"Well I didn't say anything," Hamish put up his hands innocently with a teasing grin. "Did you, Mori?"

"Not that I recall." A light smirk crossed Mortimer's lips.

It was safe to say that Hamish had been rather shocked to see Mortimer on his first day of university. Sure, Mortimer was smart. Sure, he was quite likely to go to Cambridge or Oxford. But Hamish hadn't expected them to be at the same college. Surprisingly Mortimer seemed to have moved on from what had happened years ago, apologising to Hamish about that and telling him that he had realised it wasn't Hamish's fault. Hamish didn't blame him, after all at the time he had just lost his two dads. They had pretty quickly made up and Mortimer had easily inserted himself into the small friend group that was Ollie and Hamish. The three all got on surprisingly well considering that Mortimer and Hamish had parted on bad terms before and Ollie had never even met Mortimer.

"You two are so infuriating," Ollie rolled his eyes good naturedly as he continued to eat. Hamish himself had gotten out of eating with the claim that he had had a big lunch (he had not, but Ollie didn't know that). Mortimer was actually eating, albeit at a rather slow pace. They had all had the same routine for just about the whole time they had been at university. Attending classes and lectures, having lunch separately as the time they could have it varied and then having dinner all together. Afterwards they went off to do their various different things. Two nights a week Ollie and Hamish went ice skating, in a sort of lesson.

They had all been at University for over half a year now. Hamish found it rather easy, breezing through the work and finding plenty of time to solve the various problems other students came to him with (all rather stupid ones, but it was better than nothing). He called home every week and also called Martin, often texting his twin when he was bored (much to Martin's annoyance). Christmas had come and gone, all three going home. Hamish's Christmas had been... interesting. His papa had spent the whole time fussing over him making sure he was ok, dad kept on checking to make sure he hadn't fallen into the trap of taking drugs or smoking to relieve his boredom (which he hadn't... Ollie hadn't let him try) with the help of papa, Molly spent every waking moment either bombarding him with questions or being incredibly snarky about everything he said and Martin had just watched all of this in amusement. He did not even aid Hamish when he asked for help after dad questioned him for the fifth time.

It was just like a typical Christmas in the Watson-Holmes household, actually.

"Well that's me done," Ollie announced, though it was quite obvious due to the fact his plate was completely polished. "I'm going to head back. Studying to do and stuff." He glanced down at Hamish. "Come with me? I need some help."

Hamish shrugged. "Sure. See you, Mori!" He pushed himself up, following Hamish out and towards the student accommodation.

"Come into my room?" Ollie asked, giving Hamish a pleading look.

"Ok..." Hamish frowned slightly, glancing over Ollie. Nervous. He was about to tell him something. Obvious. But what was it? He didn't like not knowing.

"I need to talk to you," Ollie sat down in a chair. Hamish stayed standing, folding his arms and watching his friend with an even stare. Truthfully he was beginning to get nervous. He didn't know what Ollie was going to say. What didn't he know?

"I worked out that much."

Ollie rolled his eyes, before taking a deep breath. "I think I'm gay."

"I would go more towards bi but yeah, I already sort of guessed," Hamish mumbled by the end, shifting on his feet. Damn, why was his heart beating so fast? What were these strange feelings in his stomach... Like butterflies. He must be ill.

"Of course you did," Ollie shook his head with a light snort. "I should have known."

"Is that all?"

Ollie paused, dark eyes flickering up to the ceiling for a moment. "No."

Hamish felt his heart leap. Yes, there was definitely something wrong. He would phone papa later. He was a doctor, he would know.

"Your friend... Mortimer..."

"He's your friend too."

"Not as much as he is yours. Anyway, do you know... Is he straight?"

Hamish frowned. He'd never actually thought about that. "No idea."

"Oh, ok. Because... I kind of like him. Do you think there's the possibility of something working?" Ollie looked so at a loss. He must have been if he was asking Hamish. Ollie was one year older than him and Hamish had no experience.

"I don't know, sorry," Hamish found himself mumbling, backing away towards the door. "I'd better go... call my papa. I need to talk to him about some symptoms I've been experiencing."

"Are you okay?" Ollie looked concerned now.

"Perfectly fine, it's nothing!" Hamish gave a weak smile, slipping out the door. He entered his own room, collapsing on his bed. He was so confused. Why did he feel disappointed? Upset? He didn't get it.

Why did he feel like he had just been rejected?